[dtp-connect-dev] Committers Meeting Notes - 2005-10-20

Here are the notes from the connectivity sub-project's weekly committers
meeting.

Attendees:
Rob Cernich (Sybase)
Brian Fitzpatrick (Sybase)
Larry Dunnel (IBM)
Gilles Roux (IBM)
Linda Chan (Actuate)

Using CVS and Bugzilla:
Reviewed committer guidelines and agreed to use Bugzilla to document all
changes committed to the code.  Committers should place the bug number in
the CVS commit message when committing changes.

We also agreed to use Bugzilla to track requirements for the project.  Any
work being done to advance implementation of these requirements should use
the bug number associated with those requirements.

We agreed to have check-in notifications delivered to a mailing list.  This
can be automated by including the bug number in the CVS commit message.  (I
will post a separate message detailing the process.)

We agreed to post messages to the dev mailing list features become complete
(in addition to the general check-in notifications to the yet-to-be-named
mailing list).

We agreed to tag the source code used for each iteration and milestone
build.  We did not decide on a specific process, deciding that this detail
should be included as part of the defined build process for DTP.  (Options
discussed were tagging all projects, tagging a build map file.  The first
option is simpler for developers to use, the second is used by the build
process used by the core platform.)

Discussed removing obsolete projects from CVS.

Basic requirements requiring further discussion:  (note, I'll be creating
bug reports for each of these)
1.  Connectivity layer needs to be accessible outside an Eclipse
environment.  (BIRT requirement)
2.  DSE needs to be available for use in RCP applications.  (Request from
STP)
3.  Allow user to specify storage location for connection profiles as
opposed to using the workspace metadata directory.  It was suggested that
import/export should be used to accommodate this and, at a minimum, serves
as a workaround.  This may be necessary to support execution outside an
Eclipse environment or within an RCP application.  (request from Sybase)
4.  General security requirements.
4.1.  Allow developers to specify an encryption provider for encrypting
connection profile information.  There should also be a preference page
allowing users to specify a provider if more than one exists.  (request
from Sybase)
4.2.  Storage of user credentials should be optional.  Possible design:
allow certain CP properties to be transient (e.g. UID/PWD).  (request from
IBM)
4.2.1  Allow user to specify credentials when credentials are not stored.
Possible design: display CP edit dialog to gather properties (accommodates
more than simple UID/PWD type authentication).

Project status:
The initial driver definition framework has been checked-in, including a
sample project.  Documentation for the driver management extension point is
posted on the DTP website.
The initial connection profile framework has been checked-in, including a
sample project.  Documentation for the connection profile extension point
is posted on the DTP website.  Public APIs are documented in the source
code.
The ODA runtime interfaces have been checked-in, including a sample
project.  Documentation is posted on the DTP website.

Iteration planning:
The next iteration is set to include a sample connection profile and more
documentation.  For the most part, these goals have been met.  Rob will
work on putting together a "best practices" document for using the driver
definition and connection profile frameworks.

Architecture and Design:
We had planned to discuss the following topics, but ran out of time.
1.  Connection management in the connection profile framework.
2.  Integration with the SQL model.
3.  Drag & drop requirements for the data source explorer.

Action Items:
Rob - Document check-in process and work on getting automated check-in
notifications setup.
Rob - Delete obsolete projects from CVS.  (Note, these will be moved to an
"attic" directory for the time being.)
Unassigned - Define build process for connectivity sub-project.

Back to the top