[dsdp-tml-dev] a more generic qemu service plugin

Hi All,

I am wondering if you guys have any thoughts of implementing a more generic
qemu plugin instead of having to create one plugin for each different kind
of qemu guest os.

We should modify the extension for the device so we have a generic qemu
device type that has the predefined set of services available. And user
could configure the settings in the UI instead of hard coding it in the
Plugin class itself. So if you need to add a new device for different
architecture, you can just add one from the UI instead of modify the
plugins.

And also since the qemu settings are configurable, there is no need to have
all the qemu binaries in the plugin itself.

So here is what I am proposing:

1. Create the extension point for developers to create the device type.
   a. Define the device type and its required info (QEMU could be one of the
device type)
   b. Point to class(handler) on what kind of UI is required when user want
to add a new device of this type.
   c. Define the services that this device type can handle (could be defined
with the org.eclipse.tml.serviceDefinition extension)

2. Create the device manager view
   a. For user to add/delete the device instance for the specified device
type
   b. modify settings of the device, default ip address/port number
information.
   c. for user to create the launch configuration settings for qemu
paramaters. For example: qemu executable location, working directory, kernel
image file name, vnc settings. The qemu installed location shouldn't need to
be part of the workspace.
   d. add actions/menus for user to run the services(start, stop, connect to
vnc, disconnect to vnc, etc...)available on this device type.
3. The Launch configuration tabs UI should also be defined, currently, if I
go into the launch configuration dialog, I get errors.

We could also integrate it more with the DSDP/TM plugins where when a qemu
device is started; we could automatically create a new remote connection in
RSE's remote systems explorer for the qemu target.

Yufen

Back to the top