Re: [dsdp-tm-dev] IRemoteProcessSubSystem.getRemoteProcessObject() is slow

Hi Lothar,

There are implementations of the IProcessService that are more efficient. For example, the DStoreProcessService uses an agent (miner) on the remote system to query the process information (although you would need to have the dstore server installed on the host in order to use it). I don't know much about the implementation for the LinuxShellProcessService but I'd suggest opening an enhancement request so that your requirement can be tracked.

____________________________________
David McKnight
Phone: 905-413-3902 , T/L: 969-3902
Internet: dmcknigh@xxxxxxxxxx
Mail: D1/YFY/8200/TOR
____________________________________

Inactive hide details for Lothar Werzinger <lothar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Lothar Werzinger <lothar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

          Lothar Werzinger <lothar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: dsdp-tm-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          12/02/2009 02:25 PM

          Please respond to
          Target Management developer discussions <dsdp-tm-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

dsdp-tm-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

cc

Subject

[dsdp-tm-dev] IRemoteProcessSubSystem.getRemoteProcessObject() is slow

When I call
remoteProcessService.getRemoteProcessObject(shellPid);
the call lasts several seconds to complete.

I stepped into it with the debugger and it turns out that this call ends up
calling

LinuxShellProcessService.listAllProcesses()

which in turn runs "cat /proc/[0-9]*/status" on the remote system and parses
the output. I checked and the status for each process returns 34 lines that
need to be parsed by listAllProcesses and that's where I think all the time
is wasted, as it get's all (hundreds) of the processes on the remote machine
when it's only interested in getting the one with the PID given in
getRemoteProcessObject().

Are there plans to make this API more efficient/responsive?

Lothar
--
Lothar Werzinger Dipl.-Ing. Univ.
Director of Technology