[dsdp-tm-dev] Re: [ptp-user] Want to know regarding Remote Development Tool

> I have been looking for this tool for long to facilitate the remote
> development in C/C++.

I'm glad that the tools are meeting your needs!

> But to my knowledge , it is a very new product from eclispe community.
> So, would like to know following details about it :
>
> 1. How stable is Remote Development Toolkit ?

The answer to that is of course rather subjective. We've only just had the first release of RDT in the late part of last year, and it is just starting to see serious usage. The more people that use it, the more bugs we are likely to find and fix. Personally, I would call it stable, but not mature.

> 2. I tried it and felt it to be still slow atleast during creation of
> project and loading paths in Browser dialog boxes etc. So, is their plan to
> look into these issues in future ? And so are there good chances that speed
> related issues will be resolved ?

Without knowing the circumstances under which you're using the tools, I can't comment as to whether it's operating slower than it should be or not. RDT is dependent upon the underlying transport layer for any networking operations (typically, this means the Remote Systems Explorer (or RSE) from the DSDP Target Management project.), and dependent upon the CDT for a lot of underlying functionality surrounding C/C++ projects. I do know that the CDT project model is very inefficient, and that is being actively worked upon right now. In RDT, we already do a fair amount of optimization of what network traffic we can by sending a minimal amount of data over the wire, and applying compression algorithms before we do so.

In general the act of opening projects and files is bound by the performance of CDT and RSE. Also, in a large project scenario, opening the project can take a long time (especially when working remotely) because the Eclipse platform wants to refresh the entire resource tree when the project is opened. Right now there is no way to get around that last part, although we have had some high level discussions with the platform team surrounding addressing that issue, so I hope some day in the future that will be resolved.

To set your expectations though, some operations are going to be slow however in a network environment. As much as we try as much as possible to provide a responsive development environment, it's always going to be slower than developing locally. We struggle to keep the difference as small as we can so the environment is usable.

> 3. I saw that RDT needs CDT 5.0.2 to work. So, is there any plan to
> integrate RDT with CDT in future.

RDT is under active development. The 2.1.1 release of RDT (and PTP in general) will be compatible with CDT 5.0.2. The next version of RDT (PTP 2.2 presumably) will likely target CDT 6.0.

> 4. Would also like to know the future of RDT ? Is eclipse community going
> to focus on it more ?

Myself and my team are not planning to go anywhere, and we are planning to continue supporting RDT. As to whether the rest of the community has a plan for contributing effort to the project, I am unsure. That is up to them to decide. We definitely welcome additional contributions from any interested parties.

===========================
Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT and RDT
IBM Toronto
Inactive hide details for Nayna Jain <naynjain@xxxxxxxxxx>Nayna Jain <naynjain@xxxxxxxxxx>

          Nayna Jain <naynjain@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: ptp-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          02/05/2009 02:14 AM

          Please respond to
          PTP User list <ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx>

ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx

cc

Subject

[ptp-user] Want to know regarding Remote Development Tool

Hi all,

I have been looking for this tool for long to facilitate the remote
development in C/C++.

But to my knowledge , it is a very new product from eclispe community.
So, would like to know following details about it :

1. How stable is Remote Development Toolkit ?

2. I tried it and felt it to be still slow atleast during creation of
project and loading paths in Browser dialog boxes etc. So, is their plan to
look into these issues in future ? And so are there good chances that speed
related issues will be resolved ?

3. I saw that RDT needs CDT 5.0.2 to work. So, is there any plan to
integrate RDT with CDT in future.

4. Would also like to know the future of RDT ? Is eclipse community going
to focus on it more ?

I am asking these because I want to use it but just trying to be sure that
I would be able to use for all time in future without any issues.

Thanks & Regards,
- Nayna Jain