[dsdp-tm-dev] Correct way to implement multiple targets - multiple subsystems for a host

Hello TM list,

This is a question regarding how to make use of the RSE tree in a good way, thus this is not a TM framework dev question. If I am mailing the wrong list, please feel free to rebuke and steer me to the correct list. Here goes:

I have the following scenario which I would like to model in the RSE tree:

o A host to which multiple targets can be connected.
o A target with multiple services, such as file system, process explorer, access to log data etc.

Initially I had implemented a subsystem which connects to the host and lists the targets.
Under the target, the hacking begun where I instantiated a new remote file subsystem using my file service and tried to fit this solution the RSE framework:

RSE Tree
=======
Connection
  + Subsystem
    + Target1
      + file system root   <--using remote file subsystem, my file service
        + [dir]            <--using remote file subsystem, my file service
        + file.txt         <--using remote file subsystem, my file service
    + Target2

This works for a bit, but e.g. drag&drop fails because the subsystem is not registered in the registry, hence it cannot be found for the drop target.

My next attempt would be to have it like:

RSE Tree
=======
Connection
  + Subsystem
    + Target1  <-- "Connect action[1]"
    + Target2
Target1 - Connection[2]
  + file system root  <-- remote file subsystem, my file service
    + [dir]           <-- remote file subsystem, my file service
  + Processes         <-- Process subsystem

[1] The Connect action would programmatically create a new target connection instance[2] using a TargetSubSystemConfiguration.
On this connection, all the desired target subsystems should be activated.
Since targets can come and go, the target connection should be automatically closed and removed if a target dissappear.

Is this a better solution, can it be done using the RSE framework or are there better alternatives?
Hoping for some enlightenment on this subject.

Best regards,
Tobias Sodergren

Back to the top