RE: [dsdp-tm-dev] FindBugs

True,

but looking at http://www.jroller.com/andyl/entry/time_to_fix_eclipse_bugs
I haven't seen Eclipse find any of the following issues which are potentially
very interesting to fix:
  • Bad attempt to compute absolute value of signed 32-bit hashcode
  • Bad comparison of nonnegative value with negative constant
  • Class defines clone() but doesn't implement Cloneable
  • Incorrect lazy initialization and update of static field
  • Inconsistent synchronizaton
  • Unsynchronized get method, synchronized set method
...and several more...

I have personally especially found to appreciate FindBugs' warnings with
respect to threading / synchronization issues which are very hard to find
otherwise.

Some of these have been done by Benny Muskalla as part of his
Google Summer of Code project this year:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Concurrency-related_refactorings_for_JDT
which is awsome, but Findbugs is still quite ahead of Eclipse,
which I find totally OK since Eclipse is a Framework and Findbugs
is the Expert in this case!

I agree with Rado though that the number one missing feature
in findbugs is ability to tag reviewed false positives in a way
that FB doesn't report them any more in the future -- API Tooling
shows how that should be done with its "Add Problem Filter"
quickfix, though I could also imagine related markup right in the
code (//$FB-NO-BUG-1$ or similar)

Cheers,
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm