[dsdp-tm-dev] Getting rid of RSE SDK from Ganymede?

Dear TM Committers and Community,

quick round call: Should we remove the RSE SDK from Ganymede?

Ganymede is really mostly about tooling for users, so they'd typically
rather have the RSE Runtime and avoid the added overhead for
downloading sources and developer docs. (SDK == Runtime + Sources
+ ISV Docs, as a reminder). Only few projects ship their SDK's on
Ganymede along with the Runtime.

On the other hand, having sources available is of course helpful
for diagnosing issues oneself (debugging, self hosting). But in my
opinion, a person who'd want to do that can very easily get the
SDK from our TM Site after the initial Ganymede install, if desired.

In my opinion, Ganymede should be the first-time-start package
for users (without SDK), and it should not hurt to select all of it.

Any other opinions?

Note that we already have some features that we do not ship on
Ganymede but on our project update site only: RSE-examples,
RSE-wince, RSE-unittests. On Ganymede, we'd then have
  • RSE-Runtime
  • Remotecdt
  • Discovery
  • RSE-Useractions
  • RSE-terminals
  • TM-terminal
Is that too much granularity? Should we define a special "Ganymede"
feature that packs Useractions into the Runtime? Or pack the User
actions right into the Runtime per default already? Or, have an
"RSE Ganymede Runtime" that == RSE-Runtime + RSE-Userations +RSE-Terminals ?

Cheers,
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Back to the top