[dsdp-tm-dev] Warning: will likely rev down several RSE plugins

Hi all,

I have learned today that when e.g.
   org.eclipse.rse.subsystems.files.ssh
does not change it's API, but it requires the 3.0 version of
   org.eclipse.rse.core
this does not mean that the subsystems.files.ssh plugin needs
to rev up its version to 3.0 as well. In fact, since it's OWN API
is unchanged, a micro revision change is sufficient, e.g.

  org.eclipse.rse.subsystems.files.ssh_2.0.100

would be appropriate. I'm considering applying this correct version
numbers to RSE: Unfortunately, however, I have been upreving many
such plugins to version 3.0.0 already.

What this means, is that any adopters of the current 3.x RSE
milestones WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE UPDATE MANAGER
in order to update to the 3.0M7 milestone of RSE (since some
plugin versions will actually be LOWER than what they have
on their disks right now). Existing users of RSE 2.0.x,
however, will of course be able to use update manager or P2.

In my opinion, biting early milestone adopters is a smaller
problem than releasing incorrectly versioned plugins, so I'd
like to go with this change; still, I'd like to hear your opinions.

The workaround for any 3.0M7 adopter will be to get rid of
(i.e. delete) any earlier RSE 3.0Mx version in his installation
before installing 3.0M7 or later.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm