[dsdp-tm-dev] RE: Question about Team suppotr in TM 3.0

Hello Assaf,

what you describe seems like a great suggestion, which I'd love
to see myself :-)

In terms of implementation, I see two possibilities for getting this done:
 (a) Have an RSE "rsync" subsystem, which maps any remote
      file tree to a local drive, presents it to Workspace as an
      EFS resource, and can sync on user request. Bug
      is open for this.

      Advantage of "rsync" over other RSE file subsystem transports
      is that it is optimized and thus much faster for synchronization -
      but requires ssh / rsync support on the remote. When rsync
      itself is not available, the subsystem could fallback to other
      installed RSE file subsystems. For this "fallback" mechanism,
      we do not have an enhancement request in bugzilla yet.

(b) Have an Eclipse Team Provider that works just like CVS/SVN but
     copies to the local disk rather than checking out. Such a team
     provider could use RSE file subsystems as the underlying transport,
     but it could also use any registered EFS provider or something
     else. In other words, it's not necessarily bound to RSE.
     We do not have this enhancement request in bugzilla yet, although
     seems related.

The "RSE Team Support : Import and Export Profiles" that you saw
on the planning page is something completely different: Given that
RSE User A has some connections set up (with filters) and wants
to share (give) those to another team member user B, he should be
able to export the connection data into an XML file, mail it to user
B, and have that user import that data into his RSE workspace.
is open for this request.

Would you mind filing a bugzilla enhancement requst for what you
have in mind, to ensure that your ideas are properly captured? -
Current TM committers do not have bandwidth to implement it
for you, but on bugzilla we can discuss and shape the feature
request, and of course help out with any issues you'd have in
case you consider contributing yourselves.

Thanks for your suggestion,

Cheers,