RE: [dsdp-tm-dev] copy between the same subSystemTypes

Hello Christian,

some FTP servers also support direct server-to-server copy,
so this is a very interesting request. I'm not sure if
dstore also supports it.

>From the RSE client point of view, IFileService currently
does not have any API methods that could be used to support
server-to-server copy; nor does IRemoteFileSubSystem have
it.

So if you want to implement it, you'd have to write your
own variant of
  SystemCopyRemoteFileAction (see the doCopy() method)
plus, if you want to support drag&drop for non-RSE
resources as well (via EFS):
  SystemDropActionDelegate (copy to non-rse resource)
  SystemPasteFromClipboardAction (copy from non-rse)

The general route for bringing such custom support into
a custom subsystem is via the ISystemViewElementAdapter.
In this case, this would be SystemViewRemoteFileAdapter.
In it, you'd create variants of the
  addActions()
  doDrag()
  doDrop()
methods. Unfortunately, that adapter is created by the
SystemViewFileAdapterFactory for any IRemoteFile objects -
so if you'd want to do your own adapter, you'd end up
duplicating most of the file subsystem :-(

So currently, it looks to me like the only thing you can
do is create your own ADDITIONAL "Copy to other server..."
action that the menu would show in your subsystem in
ADDITION to the RSE "Copy..." action.

Any tighter integration of server-to-server copy would
require API changes down to the IFileService APIs.
If you'd like to see that, please file an enhancement
request in bugzilla.

Cheers,
--
Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm