[dsdp-tm-dev] RSE: Refresh Questions

Hi Dave,

Tobias Schwarz and I looked into the SystemView refresh
last week, and we have a few questions that I hope you
can help us with.

In SystemView#ourInternalRefresh(), a distinction is made
between two cases: remote refresh and non-remote refresh.
We assume that the remote case means, that new data needs
to be acquired so the refresh is expected to be slow.
The issues we found, are:

1. forceRemote parameter is not documented, so is our
   assumption right?

2. isSelectionRemote() only looks at the first item of
   a selection, this appears to be wrong?

3. In isSelectionRemote(), it tries to get an
   ISystemRemoteElementAdapter for the selected element,
   and if there is one the selection is assumed to be
   remote.
   But in smartRefresh(), it uses field areAnyRemote,
   which is set in ExpandedItem() constructor as follows:
      remoteAdapter = getViewAdapter(data);
   this seems to be wrong -- I'd expect that areAnyRemote
   is only set true when an ISystemRemoteElementAdapter
   is available???

Can you shed some light on the general question between
a "remote" refresh and a "local" refresh? - The "local"
case seems to be more interesting for us, since it is
capable of preserving the selection. The way our model
works, we'd like to have all refreshes like that. Would
that make sense, and be possible if our model objects
simply don't implement ISystemRemoteElementAdapter?

Martin Oberhuber
Wind River Systems, Inc.
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Back to the top