[dsdp-tm-dev] RSE Compiler Warnings

Hello,

I've been spending most of the day today, cleaning up
some compiler warnings in RSE that I considered safe
and easy to do. I think this is an important step towards
release quality, and I'd like to bring the number of
warnings further down.

As you continue to work towards M5, please take all
compiler warnings seriously and try to fix them in
any files that you touch.

I recommend using the following compiler warning Preferences
(Order taken from Eclipse 3.3M1 Preferences screen):
* Java > Compiler > Errors/Warnings
  - Code style:
      Warn,Warn,Ignore,Ignore,Ignore,Error,Ignore,Ignore
  - Potential Programming Problems:
      Warn all
  - Name shadowing and conflicts
      Warn,Ignore,Warn,Error,Warn
  - Deprecated and restricted API
      Warn,Error,Ignore
  - Unnecessary code
      Ignore,Ignore,Warn,Ignore,Ignore,Warn,Ignore,Warn
* Java > Compiler > Javadoc
  - Enable Process Javadoc comments
      Warn,Public,Warn,Public,Ignore

When fixing Javadoc warnings, use the help that PDE gives
you: E.g. Ctrl+1 for quickfix to add missing tags, content
assist to complete @see and @link tags.

Be CAREFUL when fixing the Compiler warnings, and better
think twice before making a change just to get rid of a
warning. Some warnings may be there without proper reason.
Note that I think I have fixed already most of the simple
ones, so the remaining ones may be less than trivial.

Also, please DO NOT go and chase down warnings on purpose
yet. All I want you to do for now, is get rid of THOSE
WARNINGS ONLY that are in a file that you ARE EDITING ANYWAYS.
Especially, if you feel disturbed by too many Javadoc warnings,
disable the "Missing Javadoc Tags" warning.

Martin Oberhuber
Wind River Systems, Inc.
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Back to the top