[dsdp-tm-dev] Request for Cleanup Change on ISystemMessages

Hi Committers,

There are some interfaces in RSE which just define constants:

ISystemMessages
ISystemIconConstants

Especially for ISystemMessages, many RSE classes _implement_
the constants "pseudo-interface" in order to get access to
the constants without having to qualify them.

I consider this abuse of a Java feature, since those classes
do not really "implement" any messages -- it's more of an
implementation detail what messages they choose to use.
In addition to this abuse, the current code also has one very
negative effect: It blows up our Javadoc unnecessarily, because
each and every class that implements ISystemMessages has a
large amount of "fields inherited from base classes". See

http://dsdp.eclipse.org/help/latest/topic/org.eclipse.rse.doc.isv/refere
nce/api/org/eclipse/rse/ui/ISystemMessages.html

http://dsdp.eclipse.org/help/latest/topic/org.eclipse.rse.doc.isv/refere
nce/api/org/eclipse/rse/ui/wizards/SystemNewConnectionWizardDefaultMainP
age.html

I would like to refactor the code, such that all access to
Ids in ISystemMessages is qualified and the classes do not
implement the "pseudo-interface".

Comments?
Votes?

Martin Oberhuber