RE: [dsdp-tm-dev] RE: SubSystemConfiguration vs. SubSystemFactory ??

Hi Dave,

I thought about your suggestion again.

We'll probably need a bit more time to sort out the actual details of separating
ISubSystemConfiguration from ISubSystemFactory. What's important for me,
though, is that whenever a class is responsible for creating something, I'd like
to name it "...Factory".

Bringing back the name ISubSystemFactory instead of ISubSystemConfiguration,
for what essentially _is_ a factory, has the very big advantage that all documentation
referring to ...factories would be correct again. And that's a lot!!

For me it looks like even if a user re-uses an existing FileServiceSubSystemFactory,
he'd supply his own IFileService. In other words, the configuration would need to name
a factory for creating IFileService objects, wouldn't it?

The extension point, finally, names a "type" or "configuration" of subsystem. Elements
of the extension point (which is a configuration) can be the ISubSystemFactory class,
the IConnectorService class, and the IServiceFactory class. Such an extension point
would (I think) make the duplicate code for the current factories eventually unnecessary,
 and all the "plumbing" of the configuration would occur via the extension point.

The extension point would be the "configuration" but it would name the factory
classes which are responsible for creating objects of proper type.

This would also be a little bit in line with what the Platform does for
extension points
   org.eclipse.update.core.featureTypes  --> element <feature-factory>
   org.eclipse.update.core.siteTypes  --> element <site-factory>

I suggest we go ahead with renaming classes accordingly for now. I'll send out
a separate E-mail with requested refactorings. We can think about the split-up
later on if we want -- it would affect the code much less than doing all at once,
since it would just be one additional item in the extension point.

How does that sound?

Cheers,
--
Martin Oberhuber