Re: [dsdp-tm-dev] RSE and multiple workspaces?

> Martin, do you think that the RSE Team support would be able to help with this?

Somehow, maybe, when the persistence provider is changed.

Currently, all RSE profiles - team-shared or personal - are stored in the
RemoteSystemsConnections project, which is created in the current workspace.

One possible solution might be, that for every Team Profile created, the
user could manually select the directory in which the Team Profile should
be persisted. Then, the user could put connections that should be shared
between multiple workspaces into a team profile that is accessible from
all workspaces.

But I'm not sure that this would really be user-friendly. The workflow
behind this scenario would need to be thought out in more detail -
starting from the 3 options that I listed in the previous E-Mail.

What I'd like to know for now, who is potentially interested in sharing
connection definitions between multiple workspaces?

Thanks
Martin

David McKnight schrieb:

Martin, do you think that the RSE Team support would be able to help with this?

____________________________________
David McKnight Phone: 905-413-3902 , T/L: 969-3902
Internet: dmcknigh@xxxxxxxxxx
Mail:       D1/619/8200/TOR
____________________________________

*"Oberhuber, Martin" <Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>*
Sent by: dsdp-tm-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/07/2006 06:12 AM
Please respond to
Target Management developer discussions <dsdp-tm-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

	"Target Management developer discussions" <dsdp-tm-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
	[dsdp-tm-dev] RSE and multiple workspaces?

Hello,

As we are working on migrating our current products to RSE, one
question came up:

Some of our users work in multiple workspaces, e.g. in order to
maintain different versions of their products in different ClearCase
views. They would like to see the _same_ set of connections,
filters and other properties in all of their workspaces.

- The first idea that comes to mind is some sort of "Import" facility
 to load the connections from workspace A into workspace B -- same as
 somebody would do with Eclipse Preferences. The problem with this
 is, that connections do not stay in sync between the workspaces.

- Another option might be that in RSE, we can use the Eclipse Resource
 Navigator to close the "RemoteSystemsConnections" project in a local
 workspace and import it from a different workspace so that it's
 re-used from a particular location on disk. But this seems a bit
 awkward, and we are looking for a simpler workflow to support this
 scenario.

- A third option might be to do something similar to the Launch
 Configurations, and allow with each connection / filter / other
 persistent property (or profile) to store it either locally,
 or in some user-defined disk location.

What do you think about these options?
Can we support such a workflow with RSE?
Is such a feature important for others too?
Should we add it to the list of enhancement requests for RSE 2.0?

Thanks,
Martin