[dsdp-tm-dev] TM / RSE package naming

Hello Bjorn,

The Eclipse Naming Conventions at
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Naming_Conventions
say that packages should be named by the subproject, e.g.

org.eclipse.tm.component.*

The current status in our project is that 30 packages
are named by the RSE component without the subproject
proper, and 2 packages are named after a protocol
named dstore:

org.eclipse.rse.*         (30x)
org.eclipse.dstore.*      ( 2x)

The reasons for this are mostly historical from the time
the code was originally imported, and from the idea that
the RSE code might not live in the TM proper forever but
probably be moved to some other project eventually.
What's more, our main release deliverable is also called
RSE since this is the tool that the Target Management
Project provides.

My question for you is -- will it be acceptable for a
TM 1.0 release to keep the package and plugin naming
as it is? Or would you recommend refactoring the
package names to read

org.eclipse.tm.rse.*
org.eclipse.tm.dstore.*

I noticed that quite a few Eclipse projects currently
use package and project names that do not strictly follow
the "subproject" scheme, e.g. org.eclipse.xsd,
org.eclipse.draw2d, ... it almost looks like it's probably
time to create some sort of "database" that lists all
current mappings of packagename to parent project/subproject.

If we are required to do the rename operation on our project,
we'd like to do so early enough before our release.

Thanks,
Martin

--
Dipl.-Ing. Martin Oberhuber        mailto:martin.oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx