Re: [dsdp-tm-dev] TM conf. call - notes for 7-Jun-2006

Hi,

I'm right back from my travel and noticed this heated discussion about EFS and CDT. I was the one that has reported and worked on some of the related bugs, so I think I need to clarify something. I worked on that issue because I need remote support for PTP, which requires the support of remote project and remote build in CDT. We decided to use EFS as the enablement of remote project. You can reference our wiki for more details:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/PTP/designs/remote
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/PTP/designs/remote/cdt
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/PTP/designs/remote/progress

There is a chick-egg problem in EFS UI and the EFS users. The improvement to EFS UI is pending to wait for user feedback and users are waiting for the improvement of EFS UI. However, the lack of a usable EFS implementation might be the major issue that discouraged people to use EFS. Several of the bug fixes I supplied were related with the sample EFS implementations. I have created plug-in that enables V9FS EFS and did most of the development work with it. You can also try the EFS from RSE (there was a bug in RSE that prevents the creation of a project on the remote system, but I've received a mail yesterday that says it is probably fixed. I will check).

From my experience, EFS support in Eclipse core fulfills the needs of CDT but Eclipse UI is in need of improvement to better support EFS. However, we can already use EFS, and I have worked out a bugfix (#142092) that provides limited support for EFS in CDT. The restriction is that the path in the URL must represent the path of the file on the server. And it works for me to edit C/C++ code and Makefiles that are in a project created on EFS. You can also apply the traditional trick (ssh ...) to build the project remotely, if the project is on a remote system.

I'd like to get contact to the
Best regards,
Tianchao Li