[dsdp-tm-dev] Re: Service Discovery beta

Hi Martin,

To propose the service discovery to the PCM here are the answers to the questions from your previous mail:

Does your contribution depend on RSE or any other components (except EMF)? What parts of EMF (SDO, XSD)?
No, the current version is only depending on basic EMF.

I suppose the Sample View depends on the Zeroconf engine, which depends on the EMF Model, right?
The sample view depends on both engine and model, as it sets up a service discovery query using the engine and also displays the contents of the model.

Did you prepare for any APIs or extension points where users could plug in their own protocols or models?
Yes, the code provides a factory and interface to extend the transport mechanism (only UDP/IP is implemented at the moment).
If  anybody requires other parts of the service discovery plugin to be extendable, please let me know.

And the IP/Legal questions:

Did you write the code your own from scratch or did you use any legacy code?
Yes, all code was written from scratch.

Did you reference / include / copy any 3rd party materials? If yes, under which license did you receive such materials?
No.

Are you authorized by your company to make the contribution under the EPL?
Yes.

Please, let me know if you require more informantion about service discovery.

Cheers,

Javier Montalvo Orús
Engineering Tools
Symbian Software Limited.

Tel: +44 (0)207 154 1091

Martin Oberhuber <martin.oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

02/06/2006 01:37

javier.montalvoorus@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Target Management developer discussions <dsdp-tm-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
Re: Service Discovery beta

Hello Javier,

thanks for all your work on this!

I'm copying the dsdp-tm-dev list in order to keep the Community informed and in the loop. The Community can ask additional questions or make suggestions.

In order to propose this to the PMC, I'll need to know about the dependencies:
  • Does your contribution depend on RSE or any other components (except EMF)? What parts of EMF (SDO, XSD)?
  • I suppose the Sample View depends on the Zeroconf engine, which depends on the EMF Model, right?
  • Did you prepare for any APIs or extension points where users could plug in their own protocols or models?
I suppose that some of this information will eventually need to go into some sort of documentation. Remember that all of Eclipse is more about Frameworks and Exemplary tools, than full-blown applications
Then I'll need to ask the IP/Legal questions:
  • Did you write the code your own from scratch or did you use any legacy code?
  • Did you reference / include / copy any 3rd party materials? If yes, under which license did you receive such materials?
  • Are you authorized by your company to make the contribution under the EPL?
Regarding the code, you'll need to put proper EPL Copyright Notices into all your source files, like these:

http://www.eclipse.org/legal/copyrightandlicensenotice.php
and you'll need to add about.html to the root of your plugins, like these:

http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl/about.php
see
http://www.eclipse.org/legal for more information. These copyright notices have to be in the code _before_ we can submit it to EMO legal review.

Of course it's up to you to attach the code on bugzilla before doing all this, to enable earlier community review.

But actual EMO Review - and thus the start of the submission process - requires these. Some more guidelines regarding the code are here:

http://www.eclipse.org/legal/committerguidelines.php
these guidelines are more for the committers reviewing your code, but it'll be good for you to know these as well. The most important of these are that your code must not contain profanity, and that cryptography, patents and other "legal" things need to be documented.

Thanks again,
Martin

javier.montalvoorus@xxxxxxxxxxx schrieb:

Hi Martin,

I have at the moment a functional beta version for the service discovery. It shows how services can be discovered and provides a view displaying the available services and their specifications.

I think it will be really useful to start testing the service discovery engine and also it  will allow developers to start working on the device implementation of zeroconf servers.

The solution is based on EMF but the architecture is modularised enough so it is be really easy to improve/substitute any of the components.

The original submission will contain the following plugins:

*  Zeroconf engine

Containing the different transport implementations and the APIs to instantiate them. At the moment only UDP has been implemented (mainly for testing), but new transports can be easily added by implementing an interface and making it  available through a factory.

It also contains the zeroconf protocol implementation, encode and decode of the zeroconf packets and population of the model as well as a public API to perform the actions.

*  EMF model

EMF model created from the XML schema I posted in the bugzilla entry.

*  Sample View

A view providing basic manipulation of the engine (discovery/refresh/delete) and showing the discovered services and their attributes.
This view is provided only as a proof of concept and it's not intended to be the final implementation. Porting the model from one view to another will be quite easy using the EMF facilities.

My idea is to provide the beta version through an attachment to the autodetect bugzilla entry, is it then covered by EPL ?
Can you give some guidance about the submission process ?  In the meantime I'll be discussing the submission with my team and the legal department.

Many thanks,

Javier Montalvo Orús

Engineering Tools
Symbian Software Limited.

Tel: +44 (0)207 154 1091

*** Symbian Software Ltd is a company registered in England and
Wales with registered number 4190020 and registered office at 2-6
Boundary Row, Southwark, London, SE1 8HP, UK. This message is
intended only for use by the named addressee and may contain
privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the
named addressee you should not disseminate, copy or take any action
in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error
please notify
postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx and delete the message and any
attachments accompanying it immediately. Neither Symbian nor any of
its Affiliates accepts liability for any corruption, interception,
amendment, tampering or viruses occurring to this message in
transit or for any message sent by its employees which is not in
compliance with Symbian corporate policy. *************************