[dsdp-tm-dev] RSE user actions vs. Eclipse External Tools?

Hi Dave,

from looking at the RSE user docs you have recently contributed,
I'm understanding that RSE user actions are not integrated with
Eclipse External Tools.

I was wondering if we should not contribute another type of
External Tool (e.g. "Remote Program", in addition to "Ant",
"Program") instead of cooking our own with User Actions.

The External Tools are a well-established concept, support
variable substitution and custom refreshing after completion.
They can also be team-shared by a mechanism that appears to
be simpler than RSE Profiles (*.launch file in the workspace).

Should that perhaps be added to the RSE 2.0 Planning Page?
But perhaps the User Actions code derives from the External
Tools code already?

Or can you come up with a list of features or properties that
the User Actions have but the External Tools do not have?
- I think that this discussion is important to have, since
it will impact where we (and the CDT) is going with Remote
Compile, and it is part of our API.

Thanks,
Martin

--