[dsdp-tm-dev] Committers: Bug Verifications

Dear Committers,

as we've been fixing lots of bugs recently, the question came up when and how we'd want to verify them.
I propose the following strategy:
  • You can set a bug RESOLVED/FIXED in Bugzilla whenever you think something is fixed. You don't need to go to great length verifying the fix. Just use good judgement about the fix actually working.
  • When a bug is set RESOLVED, the reporter will get an E-Mail notification automatically. The reporter is free to verify the fix immediately if he wants. If he does so, he can set the state to VERIFIED.
  • When we are getting close to our release (in August or September), we'll reserve some extra time for verifying all fixed issues against the release candidates. That is, we'll be going through all bugs that have state FIXED or VERIFIED, and set them to CLOSED if they actually work.
So this proposal means, that setting a bug VERIFIED is an "unofficial" note from the submitter that the fix actually works.
Setting a bug CLOSED is the "official" note that it actually works in the release.

The VERIFIED state will help us during the official verification stage when we are setting the bugs CLOSED. For bugs which are VERIFIED already, we'll take less time and resources for actually back-checking checking the fix than for RESOLVED bugs.

Comments regarding this?

Cheers,
Martin
--