RE: [dsdp-tm-dev] autodetect

Hello Javier,

these are very interesting pointers and ideas.

I had a look at http://www.dns-sd.org and I got the feeling that it is an extension of what
Apple's Zeroconf / Bonjour does on the LAN, to the wide area network through the DNS
transport mechanisms.

What I found most interesting on the page, was the list of standardized protocol names
which they use in their descriptive strings for the services:
http://www.dns-sd.org/ServiceTypes.html

I guess we could definitely use those to publish existence of services, regardless of what
sort of protocol / transport we finally choose to use.

In fact, I've already seen these specifiers before in the ECF discovery. ECF already has
a provider implementation for Zeroconf / Bonjour, which uses the same strings.
Consequently, looking at the ECF Discovery API might be the next logical step for us.

What I'm not so sure about is, if running a DNS server on the device is the right thing to
do. There are already devices like printers etc. implementing Zeroconf / Bonjour, and I
don't think they run full-blown DNS servers. When I'm not mistaken, it's a very simple
protocol.

Cheers,
Martin
--