[dsdp-tm-dev] Target/Board description requirements: your thoughts requested

Hello everyone,

After the Toronto meeting I went ahead and took my presentation, along
with notes that I took from everyone while we were brainstorming, and
cobbled together a first pass requirements document regarding target
information needed for debugging purposes.  Doug has posted it in the
downloads section of the Wiki site at:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/DSDP/DD/Spirit.

Note that the purpose of this document is purely requirements gathering
at this point.  I suppose the idea that it will be XML might be implied,
but I tried to steer away from explicitly saying how anything should be
done.

The document in its current form has a first cut at information about
memory maps and registers, and a bit of information about cores (nowhere
near complete).  It is also missing scan chain information, so that
would be great if folks could speak to that.

Here is my plan for moving forward:
1) solicit feedback from everyone in this community regarding the
requirements themselves
2) add these additional requirements to the document
3) goto 1 as until we stabilize...
4) Approach SPIRIT with these requirements to see where we go from
here...

My colleague John Wilson, who has been Mentor Graphics representative on
the SPIRIT steering committee, tells me that they are having a SPIRIT
roadmap meeting the first week of March to decide on future directions
for SPIRIT.  He also said that ARM has apparently already pushed for
debugger topics to be a part of the agenda, which is great.  (Anthony,
was that you that introduced that?)  Yes, today is March 1st, so we
might have missed the opportunity to actually submit something for the
meeting, but this document might help the discussion.

I think it would be great if we could have a tangible set of
requirements finished, and from that create a document to present to the
SPIRIT community the set of information that we see as missing from the
SPIRIT spec to make it truly useful for debugging.

the floor is open!
Aaron

--
Aaron Spear