From: Oberhuber, Martin
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 6:15 PM
To: 'Scott Lewis'; David Dykstal
Cc: Scharf, Michael
Subject: ECF Confcall Notes

Hi Folks,

below are the notes for the talk we just had.
See Action Items at the end of the mail.

-----------
ECF Filesharing API works independent of EFS
Want the ECF Filesharing API to implement EFS (as soon as
it is in a release -- most probably n the next milestone).

ECF has Provider API. org.eclipse.ecf.fileshare provider is an
abstract API for sending / receiving files. Scott intends to
enhance it to get and resolve file pathes to/from remote sources.
API implemented by sample FTP implementation (not yet on eclipse.org).

FTP Implementations:
1 - com.sun.ftp ... very simple
2 - FTP in Platform (org.eclipse.ftp) - simple impl, used for EFS right
now
3 - Apache Impl used by Scott - anything special?
    * Eclipse code only depends on Runtime, Scott might move to it

Scott wants other providers of Fileshare API (including RSE)
David already has an EFS implementation based on Datastore
  --> For TM, we could base on ECF or on EFS, what do we want?

Dave has problems with ECF being "Technology" only; Scott wants to get
it "more official". Would like to see ECF Core API out of Technology
by 3.2 -- need to talk to Platform people including Equinox.
TM Team could help making this move into the Platform happen, by
talking to the right people and asserting that ECF Core is good.

Michael Scharf could act as our Steward on the Architecture Council.

Martin: Don't want a hard dependency from TM into ECF now:
 - for Filesharing, have TM depend on EFS (since it lives in Platform)
   and make ECF implement filesharing
 - Going forward, TM will need more communication (message passing,
   Connectors). Closely looking at ECF to handle that. Will nail down
   Connectors more when meeting in Salzburg Nov.14 (Peter Lachner/Intel,
   Michael Scharf, Felix Burton, Martin Oberhuber/Wind River)

Scott: What ECF can do for TM (and others):
1.) Provide implementations for Services (e.g. implement EFS)
2.) Basic Messaging Support (e.g. for Connectors)
3.) Discovery (e.g. Discover Filesystems) - ECF can do this very
natively
    -- additional API in a very small plugin (org.eclipse.ecf.discovery)
    -- implementation based on ZeroConf in another

Depending on ECF Core API should not be a big problem, because it is
very small and itself depends only on Runtime and OSGi.
Trying to get 3-5 Core plugins of ECF into Platform:

org.eclipse.ecf
org.eclipse.ecf.discovery
org.eclipse.ecf.doc
org.eclipse.ecf.presence  -- only needed for ECF sample applications
org.eclipse.ecf.provider  -- only needed by provider implementations

Scott would want to wrap RSE/Datastore in ECF.

If RSE would want to use EFS immediately for filetransfer
(and not ECF), then for ECF it would be better to provide
other implementations than FTP, try to improve core interfaces
and form up the API.

David: If TM is to provide filesharing, we should not expose too many
implementation details, so that we can substitute implementations and
exchange EFS against ECF or vice versa.

ECF has worked a lot on "virtualisation" and abstracting certain
classes of communication. Filesharing is one such class of
communication.
Providers may support this API or not (using IAdaptable).

David: When talking about Platform, there is "Tools" and "Platform".
The plain Platform is basically just a Runtime (plus basic things
like EMF, GEF). RSE to go into the Tools project. ECF into Tools?
Rather hope it to end up in Platform. Extension APIs like fileshare,
presence, provider to end up in Tools but the very basic Core in
Platform.

Jeff McCaffee of Equinox working on Security and Authentication for 3.2
--
Directly tied to what ECF did on Identity and Namespaces

Martin: We want to get a good API for filesharing. Scott should
take part in EFS discussion to improve / generalize the API.
Better get the API right from beginning (Symbolic Links, arbitrary
Properties).

Action Items:
-------------
Martin: When will the EAC meet next time? - Ask MSA to vote for ECF.
Martin: Send link with DSDP Schedule to Scott
Martin: Keep Scott in the Loop after Connector discussion Nov.14
Scott: add a short note to the EFS Bugzilla discussion with a pointer
       to what ECF has done / is doing.
Scott: Provide a pointer to FTP fileshare sample code to Martin and Dave
Pete: Send ECF Dependency list to Martin
David: Keep Scott up to date with RSE licensing -- Scott wants to wrap
       RSE Datastore in ECF soon after RSE is out

Cheers,
Martin

--
DI Martin Oberhuber                mailto:martin.oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx