From: dsdp-tcf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dsdp-tcf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Thibault, Daniel
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2011 11:29 AM
To: dsdp-tcf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [dsdp-tcf-dev] org.eclipse.tm.tcf.examples.daytime plug-in

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 17:20:01 -0500
From: "Thibault, Daniel" <Daniel.Thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

About the instructions in "Target Communication Framework: Getting Started" (http://dsdp.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/tcf/docs/TCF%20Getting%20Started.html):

The org.eclipse.tm.tcf.examples.daytime plug-in mentioned in the instructions and obtained from "Target Management Project - http://download.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/updates"; ("Remote System Explorer Examples") is apparently broken: I get a slew of errors from that piece of code in the C/C++ Perspective, once the rest of the plug-ins are straightened out.  It seems the example has not been updated to the new tm.tcf APIs (and whose idea was it to break those APIs, anyway?).
------------------------------
Message: 2
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 21:23:19 +0000
From: "Tarassov, Eugene" <eugene.tarassov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I don't know what is "Target Management Project - http://download.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/updates"; or what it is supposed to contain.
It is not mentioned in TCF Getting Started, and I cannot open the link, my browser says "Document could not be loaded by browser".
Anyway, TCF at the moment is being moved from Target Management Project to CDT, so that page is outdated.

Examples source code from TCF SVN repository compiles without errors.
It might be not clear that examples code is stored in the repository, so I have changed TCF Getting Started to mention that.
------------------------------

   You can't open the download.eclipse.org link directly in a browser: it is meant to be accessed from Eclipse, using the "Help: Install New Software" dialog. This is the preferred way of installing any kind of Eclipse feature, capability, or extension.

   Note that the old http://dsdp.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/tcf/docs/TCF%20Getting%20Started.html page is no longer extant, apparently, this link sending one back to the TM home page (http://www.eclipse.org/tm/). From the TM home page, one reaches the new Getting Started page (http://www.eclipse.org/tm/tutorial/index.php)...Which is decidedly inferior in content. In particular, it does NOT explain how to get started at all!

   "It [http://download.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/updates] is not mentioned in TCF Getting Started": In the new Getting Started page (http://www.eclipse.org/tm/tutorial/index.php), it is linked to "update site" in the sentence " TM 3.0 as well as upcoming service releases and milestones are available from our download site as well as our update site."

   "Examples source code from TCF SVN repository compiles without errors": Where is that repository? It is not mentioned in the new Getting Started page (http://www.eclipse.org/tm/tutorial/index.php). Is it http://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/dsdp/org.eclipse.tm.tcf/ ? The good news is that with rev 1383 the problem with org.eclipse.tm.tcf.examples.daytime has been resolved.

   Clearly the discovery repository (http://download.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/updates) is out of sync with the svn repository: the former lists only version 1.0.1 (and one instance of version 0.9.0) of TM/RSE. At the very least, the main discovery repository should mirror http://download.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/updates/3.2, even if this still harbours an uneven mix of sub-components (in particular the Remote System Explorer Examples, dated 2010-May, is version 3.1.100 and incompatible; the org.eclipse.tm.tcf.examples.daytime plug-in it contains is version 2.2.0, 2009-May).

   The TM and RSE FAQ (http://wiki.eclipse.org/TM_and_RSE_FAQ, reachable directly from the Getting Started page) is hopelessly out of date at this point: it last mentioned using the Eclipse Europa discovery site (ca. 2007; I'm the one who added the Helios part, so that doesn't count), whereas the current Eclipse is Helios, with Indigo well on its way.

   "It might be not clear that examples code is stored in the repository, so I have changed TCF Getting Started to mention that."  Obviosuly not the http://www.eclipse.org/tm/tutorial/index.php Getting Started, so which one are you referring to, and how come it is not linked from the DSDP/TM home page?

Daniel U. Thibault
R & D pour la défense Canada - Valcartier (RDDC Valcartier) / Defence R&D Canada - Valcartier (DRDC Valcartier) Système de systèmes (SdS) / System of Systems (SoS) Solutions informatiques et expérimentations (SIE) / Computing Solutions and Experimentations (CSE)
2459 Boul. Pie XI Nord
Québec, QC  G3J 1X5
CANADA
Vox : (418) 844-4000 x4245
Fax : (418) 844-4538
[Secteur-SI]\\Edge, [Secteur-SI]\\SdS-dth2
NAC: 918V QSDJ
Gouvernement du Canada / Government of Canada <http://www.valcartier.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/>