Re: [dsdp-tcf-dev] TCF C agent build system

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Michel Dagenais
<michel.dagenais@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Autotools can be used for non-GPL projects. They even mention that it can
>>> be
>>> used for proprietary packages.
>>
>> Sure, but can it generate nmake makefiles for Visual C++?
>
> I did some searching. It appears that in 2009 these issues were fixed. For
> example, Mozilla uses automake at its top level and the Mozilla build FAQ
> used to say that building with MS studio was not possible. That section is
> now marked as obsolete and a link is provided to build instructions for
> Visual Studio
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Mozilla_Build_FAQ
> https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Developer_Guide/Build_Instructions/Windows_Prerequisites
>
> Andrew Overholt from Red Hat may know more about this. Certainly the
> autotools would mesh much better with the rest of Linuxtools as oprofile,
> valgrind, gprof, lttng... all use autotools.

As I mentioned, CMake is just the thing I prefer to use as of late.
After having tried numerous times to wrap my head around autotools, I
never actually used it. CMake is pretty simple IMHO. Nothing prevents
us from trying both if someone else wants to do the autotools work.

Back to the top