[dsdp-tcf-dev] Need for a general "Properties" service?

Hello all,

You may have discerned from my post a couple days ago that I have a
current need to specify a protocol to use for controlling real-time
trace collection.  In this particular use case I have to configure trace
triggering (basically a collection of  addresses, masks, counts, trigger
actions) and then events to collect.

It occurs to me that what I want is really pretty generic, and could be
described in terms of a hierarchy of properties where each property had
a name, description, "type" and value.  The type could be a finite list
of supported types such as -number (int,float, fixed point)
-string
-boolean
-enumerated list of allowable values (strings)

We then have a shared RSE side GUI component that can for instance use
checkboxes for booleans, list box/combo boxes for the enum list, edit
box for the strings and integers.  Perhaps it also does validation/range
checking and such as well.  Maybe properties on the context that
specifies how when changes are pushed so you could send them as a group
after editing.

Looking at the existing registers service, it is nearly exactly this
already, but of course it makes the assumption that the values are
purely numbers (and has sensible things like setm/getm for multiple at
one time and registers related context properties like "Readable",
"Writable" etc)

Is this sort of general property service something that already exists
somewhere?  Is this something that others would find useful?  It occurs
to me that if it was really easy to bolt on to legacy code on the target
side that it would be a very useful tool since there would be no
development necessary on the host at all.  It can then be used as a
simple interface to control just about anything.  The properties
protocol could of course be used on the wire with shared framework and
completely custom UI on the host side too so that from a users
perspective it was custom.  For example a bunch of custom graphical knob
controls on top of integer properties.

Cheers,
Aaron

--