[dsdp-pmc] What do you think about e4 using Java5 ?

Hi Gorkem, Mark,

thanks for your kind words on the DSDP PMC. While I have you,
there is a question I'd like to ask you: on the e4 mailing
list we had a short discussion about moving e4 core APIs to
Java5 (generics, enums, util.concurrent package):
http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse-incubator-e4-dev/msg01007.h
tml

How would you see such a move from the "Java on devices" point
of view?

Generics could be "cross-compiled" to run on an 1.4 compatible
VM, since they are a source only concept and erasures allow
running the same code on 1.4. For enums and API usage (such
as the Java5 util.concurrent package) it's not that simple.

What do you think? Is it still a requirement to have Eclipse
core APIs run on CDC/CLDC? Is there a chance that Java5
concepts get pushed into the micro VM's eventually? Do you
have any other contacts that I could ask this questions?

Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm