From: Eclipse WebMaster (Denis Roy) [mailto:webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2007 2:40 PM
To: Gaff, Doug
Subject: Re: FAQ on groups and permissions

Hi Doug,

The unix groups are essentially webmaster tools to manage commit rights
to CVS repositories and to the downloads area.

For each project (Eclipse-Foundation-sanctioned project, such as DD,
Mylar, CDT, etc) we typically create three groups:

project-dev: the group of accounts that can commit to the project's code

repository
project-home: the group of accounts that can commit to the project'ss
website
projectadmin: those who can store files in the downloads area.

Essentially, some of the dsdp sub-projects aren't following this
convention, but that is our (webmaster) fault, not yours.

For some projects, having all committers in one group with commit rights

across the entire project is not adequate where some committers must be
limited to a specific set of modules.  In those cases, we create
project-module groups that allow specific committers to only commit to
that portion of CVS.  So in the case os ipxact, I can either assign it
to dsdp-dd-dev (all the DSDP committers) or I can create a new group
called dsdp-dd-ipxact and only place the specific committers in the
group, thus restricting access to all the other DD modules.

Does this help?  We don't have an FAQ anywhere, but I'll add what I just

typed to Committer Tools/How Do I?

Denis

Gaff, Doug wrote:
> Hi Denis,
>

> Can you give me a quick explanation of what unix groups are typically
> created for projects and how they are used?  Can you also explain how
> you setup permissions for packages?  Is this also done with groups?
I'm
> finding myself confused about how this works.  I'm also not sure which

> groups I have for DD.  I only know about dsdp-ddadmin and
dsdp-dd-home.

--

Eclipse WebMaster - webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx
Questions? Consult the WebMaster FAQ at