[dsdp-pmc] SD Times Articles

Hi PMC,

There is an opportunity for press around some of the DSDP projects in SD times.  The email below is all I have at this point.  I will let you know when I hear more.  We should take this opportunity to advertise our current and upcoming 1.0 releases.

Doug

From: Ian Skerrett [mailto:ian.skerrett@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2006 8:20 PM
To: DRubinstein@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Gaff, Doug; 'Andi Gutmans'; 'Mik Kersten'
Subject: Follow-up

David,

Thanks for giving me a call today.   As mentioned there are a number of projects that are coming up on their 1.0 releases.  Here are some that I would suggest contacting.

Device Software Development Platform (DSDP) has 2-3 sub-projects that are expecting 1.0 releases, including Embedded Rich Client Platform (eRCP) and Target Management Project.   Doug Gaff from Wind River, is the PMC lead for DSDP and can provide more details.    I think the interesting thing about DSDP is it is a great example of Eclipse adding significant value and technology in the embedded and device market.

PHP IDE is another project that is getting set for a 1.0 release.   The PHP IDE project will provide a full function PHP IDE for the million of PHP developers.  This is obvious a great opportunity for Eclipse to extend our user base and continue to full fill on our promise of offer support for multiple languages.  Andi Gutman from Zend can provide additional details.

The Mylar project is a great example of innovation at Eclipse.   Mylar essentially allows developers to take a more task oriented approach to their software development effort.   It allows developers to create task and then associate all of the files, code, resources, documents, etc to that task.   The developer can then switch from task to task and have his development environment adjust accordingly.  Mik Kersten is the project leader and I am sure can provide a much better explanation.

Another general trend I see is the increase in adoption and awareness of Eclipse RCP.   We are seeing ISVs and enterprises use RCP as the platform for building their next generation applications.   We also have a number of projects that are building functional specific frameworks that can be included in RCP based applications.   Examples would be Eclipse Modeling Framework (EMF) for creating and managing meta models, BIRT for integrating reporting into an application, Data Tools Platform (DTP) for integrating data access into an RCP application.   Most of these projects are pretty mature but their existence is helping drive adoption of RCP.   Let me know if you would like more information on this aspect.

Doug, Andi and Mik,

David is the editor-in-chief from SD Times.   They want to do a feature article upon the interesting up and coming projects at Eclipse.   I thought your projects would be good examples.   David will probably have some follow-up questions, so I hope you can assist him.   Also, if you feel I have missed a project, please feel free to mention it to David.

Thanks

Ian

Ian Skerrett

Director of Marketing