Re: [dsdp-pmc] FW: NAB community

Hi Doug and PMC,

On Fri, 19 May 2006 11:15:24 -0700
"Gaff, Doug" <doug.gaff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm glad to see code committed in the CVS repository.
> Is this the complete working environment?

Yes, It works almost completely except some bugs.

But, I had committed source code only.
We are working about document now. Japanese documents are planned to
completing on end of this week. And the English translating are will start
on next week.

> What are your plans to update your webpage to provide developer
> instructions for using NAB?

I knew it's my A.I. sorry,,,
We'll start to update on mid June with translated documents. It is
including NAB platform API and architecture document.

That document is most important to developer and release review, I think.

> I am getting a little worried because it appears that the NAB project
> isn't forming into a community.  I know a community already exists with
> WideStudio, but that community really needs to start showing up in
> Eclipse.  For example, the other projects are doing the following:
>
> 1.  Regular public project meetings
>
> 2.  Communication on the dev mailing lists
>
> 3.  Recruiting companies to join

I think that order for making a community is 3, 2, 1.
And we are now in position 3.

> What are your plans for this?

We had contact to any Japanese companies to recruiting to NAB project.
But, almost all Japanese companies had no experiences to open source
activity. (We had to start to explain what is OSS or Eclipse. sigh...)

And, longer time is needed for decision because Japanese companies
hierarchy is deeper. So, we'll continue the recruiting and promotion but
we need more time.

> Is there anything I can do to help?

I thought about that and I had came up with some ideas.

1. Doug, Martin, Mika, Do you know the companies that is developer or
   user of GUI kit such as Qt, KDE, Motif and etc. And please let me
   know the contact person or promote the NAB if you can.

1.2 What do you think about approach to Trolltech? Will they have an
    interest? Will they join to NAB?

2. Mika, in eclipsecon, few Nokia guys interest to NAB. Will Nokia use
   NAB platform for Series60 or Java GUI development?

Shigeki

--
Shigeki Moride
moride.shigeki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx