[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [List Home]
RE: [dsdp-pmc] FW: Release Reviews aroundtheCallistoSimultaneousRelease

Title: Bjorn Freeman

Hi Bjorn,


Given the promised lag on IP due diligence, my DSDP projects are all considering going off Eclipse CVS so they can continue development.


I see no other alternative.  We can’t block development while the Foundation tries to clear the backlog.  Do you have any advice?




From: dsdp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dsdp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Oberhuber, Martin
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 8:22 AM
To: DSDP PMC list
Subject: RE: [dsdp-pmc] FW: Release Reviews aroundtheCallistoSimultaneousRelease




I had also thought about starting a CVS repository on SourceForge for our stuff

while the EMO's not ready.


I'm not sure how much effort an "initial review" for the IP team actually is. I've heard

once that if the code doesn't contain 3rd party code or cryptography, they just run

some automated scanners on it, which doesn't seem to be too much of an effort.


Perhaps we should talk to Bjorn again and ask his opinion, given that moving to

an external CVS repository appears to be the only option while the IP stuff

is such a bottleneck. Perhaps the EMO could schedule such "initial checkin

roadblocks" earlier than other stuff.

Martin Oberhuber - WindRiver, Austria



From: dsdp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dsdp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of mika.hoikkala@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 8:44 AM
To: dsdp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [dsdp-pmc] FW: Release Reviews around theCallistoSimultaneousRelease



This sounds really bad.


Because we cannot check unchecked code to CVS and we are actually not able to proceed without those "to be checked" pieces I quess that we have two options:

1) stop development

2) continue development in private CVS for the next few months


Do you see any other options? (are there still options that MTJ pieces could be checked at the same time as Callisto...)





From: dsdp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dsdp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of ext Gaff, Doug
Sent: 20 April, 2006 22:39
To: DSDP PMC list
Subject: [dsdp-pmc] FW: Release Reviews around the CallistoSimultaneousRelease

Hi guys,


FYI.  This is bad news for DSDP and the IP review process.  Please get your IP requests in ASAP so you’re at least in the queue.




From: eclipse.org-technology-leads-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:eclipse.org-technology-leads-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bjorn Freeman-Benson
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 3:07 PM
To: eclipse.org-technology-leads@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [eclipse.org-technology-leads] Release Reviews around the CallistoSimultaneous Release


Eclipse Project and PMC Leads,
As you know by the longer days (here in the north; you Australians are having shorter days), the end of June is rapidly approaching and the end of June is the big Callisto Simultaneous Release. Not only are the "Callisto Ten" planning a simultaneous release, but many other projects are also interested in releasing at, or very very near, the same time (see http://www.eclipse.org/projects/timeline/).

The Callisto projects are having one giant Release Review on Friday, May 26th (see http://www.eclipse.org/projects/ for the list of all scheduled reviews). Other projects, of course, must also have Release Reviews. Release Reviews must be scheduled in advance (send email to emo@xxxxxxxxxxx) and must include Eclipse Legal clearance of all third-party content, the IP Logs, etc. (see http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/release-review.php).

Janet and her staff are working very hard to get through all the code and legal reviews as fast as they can - however they can only guarantee to get the Callisto work done in time for the end of June. The rest of the reviews will be first come, first served, and it is highly unlikely that all such reviews will get done in time for all the projects to release alongside Callisto. In the interim, please respect the Eclipse IP Policy, and the processes which have been mandated by the Eclipse Board of Directors, and wait for both approval by Eclipse Legal and a successful Release Review prior to any (non-milestone) releases.

We look forward to processing your requests and scheduling your reviews as expediently as we can, and we request your understanding of the increased workload. Thank you.


Bjorn Freeman-Benson
Director, Open Source Process
Eclipse Foundation


971-327-7323 (PST, UTC-8)