Re: [dsdp-mtj-dev] possible involvement?

Strangely, I just saw this come through my blog reader... http://www.eclipse.org/resources/resource.php?id=514

It may be interesting to look at as well.

On 9/21/09 4:22 PM, Christian Kurzke wrote:
Hi Jin,

Thanks for your interest to join the MTJ project.

As i described in a newsgroup post earlier today, there is many different ways how somebody can "help" on the project. see: http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=rview&goto=487053&th=154558#msg_487053

Since you seem to be very familiar with Eclipse programming, i think a good start may be to fix some bugs and submit code for that.

There is nothing in MTJ that is "hidden" from you, "what you see is what you get". ;) We try to be as transparent as possible, and most of the "good" information is actually
happening on this mailing list.

One of the areas where we could need some help is organizing our WIKI, and make it more useful for people who are new to the project, like yourself!! (hint: if you see something on the wiki which is outdated or you think can be improved... it's editable, feel free to change/contribute)

If you have ideas for new features (like your proposed CDC support), i encourage you to write a short summary and start a discussion on the mailing list.

Another very good skill you can help us with, would be to promote MTJ in China. We seem to have a lot of downloads from China, but dont get a lot of feedback.
.. do you think MTJ works fine for Chinese developers?
Should we have a localized/translated version? Can you help us???
Or would you like to write a "how to get started" guide in Chinese??

As you see, there is A LOT that can be done, and your help is very welcome!

IF you need help to get started on the Bugzilla "bug-fixing", e.g. how to assign a bug to yourself, let us know (on the mailing list). When you work on a bugfix, please keep also in mind the Eclipse development process, especially, keep in mind that you cannot use
ANY code in your bugfix which is not written by yourself.
IF you use any other code (e.g. from anothe open source project), you have to tell in your bug description, and we have to follow the
Eclipse IP process.

As for the "official" process to work in eclipse - if you are not already familiar, please have a look at:
http://www.eclipse.org/legal/committerguidelines.php

Again, thanks for your interest in our project, and - I look forward to hear back from you!

Christian

Jin Mingjian wrote:
Hi, all,

I'd add some forces to MTJ if it is welcome:) I get some "HelpWanted" infos from Craig Setera at [1]. Recently, I posted some "InvolvementWanted" infos to other Eclipse projects. But have not got validate feedbacks, which is mentioned in my blog[2]. I am not sure whether your guies would like to accept me?:)

I used to use the EclipseME 4 years ago. The basic functionalities for EclipseME in my memory is much nice as a tool for Sun WTK. Now, maybe we can widen the zone under the umbrella of MTJ. I have not seen the detail future plan of MTJ from the website or wiki. Are there some links hidden from me? I just add some my coarse ideas about what I can do under MTJ.

1. bug fixing. I suggest to make bugs to be assignned to me, or I leave a mark to the bugs(before being as a committer). Let's avoiding duplicated fixings. There seem not much bugs opened by users?(good enough or rare user?^_^) So, I guess this task is easy.
2. cooperate with some sub-projects in MTJ if have.
3. some ideas for future MTJ. from the name of MTJ, we do anything about mobile tools for java. there are many things that would be done under MTJ:

1> advocate fluent(smooth) workflow. that is, MTJ just add more or less convenience especailly for mobile side, And I as a Java programmer from other side, MTJ could be easily integrated into their toolboxs.(maybe It is not problem for current MTJ).( Maybe we can add some toolings to mobile workflow side or codes migration? ) 2> interoperation with existed mobile efforts in the Eclipse firstly. such as provide configuration/graphical tooling support for mobile OSGI/eRCP/eSWT... I'd like to do some work under this aspects if MTJ think it acceptable. 3> CDC side tooling. I play some CDC things recently[2]. It is a cool technology. I am not sure whether the MTJ support this side things (such as J2ME SDK support?). With the mobile become more powerful. CDC side things will become more important. I'd like to do some work under this aspects if MTJ think it acceptable. 4> other mobile platform support. MTJ has done good work. There are still many potential works. From reasons of some committers leaving, I guess Android will not put into the MTJ recently? Because android do not support Java? 5> construct mobile java tooling infrastructure, to foster more advanced mobile java technologies tooling on the top of MTJ. 6> others....

Best regards,
Jin Mingjian

[1] http://www.setera.org/2009/09/19/eclipse-mtj-help-wanted/
[2] http://jmj-eclipse.blogspot.com/2009/09/phoneme-advanced-and-eswt-running-under.html