[dsdp-mtj-dev] Question about external contribution

Title: Question about external contribution

Hi doug,

On MTJ we just had some contributions from sybase. In one of the contributions, a class from JDT (org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.dialogs.StatusInfo) was added to the patch (a new class was created on MTJ with the same code and copyright - IBM). The reason for adding the class directly to MTJ is that it is an internal class and that we are not suppose to access it directly (but i think that the package is exported). From the ip review process, i think that all code from a patch is suppose to have the copyright of the contributor, isn't?

One additional information, the contribution itself is small. Since that, i wasn't initially planning to submit a CQ for it.

My first question is:
- Can we keep the approach they implemented or can we just add a dependency with JDT in an internal JDT class? It seems to me that it would be dangerous to add this dependency, but maybe it is common to do that on other eclipse projects.

If we keep their approach, i need some advice on how to proceed. I saw the below options
- submit a CQ to all the code
- ask them to break the contribution into their code and IBMs code
- leave it in the way that it is and commit the code. There is actually no problem on that approach.

Thanks
:)
gustavo

Back to the top