RE: [dsdp-mtj-dev] Europa Simultaneous Release?

Regardless of whether you guys are on the train or not, the discipline of building the milestones and populating an update site is valuable and should probably be done anyway.  This is also the hardest part of Europa.

The Planning Council specifically discussed incubation projects (<1.0 projects) and decided that Europa was  a good way to get the technology to a wider audience, despite the potential lack of technical maturity.  However, I can understand your hesitation.  If you decide against the train, please strongly consider _still_ doing the must have requirements below.

From: dsdp-mtj-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dsdp-mtj-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kevin M Horowitz
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 10:14 AM
To: Mobile Tools for The Java Platform mailing list
Subject: RE: [dsdp-mtj-dev] Europa Simultaneous Release?

Hi,

I have been thinking about this since the mail went out, and while I think we should look at all of the required aspects of participation, and add them to our requirements list (and implement them), I don't think MTJ is ready to be part of the "Europa" release. We are just going to hit our 1.0 release, and have a lot to do to hit that. I think we are better doing the 1.0 release independent of the Europa train, and then looking to join the next release train with a follow-on. We have learned a lot over the 0.7 release, but I think we are still going to be more surprises as we continue. I also think we need to get more participation from the community before we are ready to part of the integrated release.

kevin
-----------------------------
Kevin Horowitz (khorowit@xxxxxxxxxx)
IBM Software Group - WPLC
8051 Congress Ave.
Boca Raton, Fl 33487
+1-561-862-2113 (t/l 975)

Inactive hide details for <Arto.Laurila@xxxxxxxxx><Arto.Laurila@xxxxxxxxx>

<Arto.Laurila@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: dsdp-mtj-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/06/2006 05:32 AM

Please respond to
Mobile Tools for The Java Platform mailing list <dsdp-mtj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<dsdp-mtj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

RE: [dsdp-mtj-dev] Europa Simultaneous Release?

Hi all,

To get this started, I did include some opinions and our work estimates to follow the "Europa" simultaneous release process.

Any opinions are welcome ...

As these are required for participation:

1. The projects must work together.
-> This means that MTJ has to make a lot more testcases for that.
-> Work estimate 1 man month (must do also during our milestones (aka during builds) and before release)

2. Projects must have build process maturity and their own functional project update site - the Europa site will reference these sites, not replace them.
-> We have to get an update site, our build process is quite ok.
-> Work estimate 1 week (one or two days for creating and three or four for testing)

3. Projects must optimize their update site using pack200 to reduce bandwidth utilization and provide a better update experience for users. Additionally, they should do site digesting.
-> Also these we should include in our build process
-> Work estimate 1 week

4. Projects must use 4-part version numbers.
-> Very small issue
-> Work estimate 1 day

5. Projects must provide both run-times and SDKs through their update sites and thence through the Europa update site. (The Planning Council identified that this might not be technically possible due to bugs in the update manager's computation of required dependencies. We will remove this requirement if it proves to be impossible.)
->Already MTJ does this
-> Work estimate 0 day

6. Projects must use signed plugins using the Eclipse certificate.
-> This we would need to do
-> Work estimate 1 week

7. Any third-party plug-ins that are common between projects must be consumed via Orbit; the final Europa release will not have duplicate third-party libraries (note that this only applies to identical versions of the libraries; thus if project A requires foo.jar 1.6 and project B uses foo.jar 1.7, that's ok).
-> No problem to us
-> Work estimate 0 day

8. All plug-ins must correctly list their required JVM versions in the manifest/plugin.xml.
-> Small issue for us
-> Work estimate one or two days

9. Project representatives must attend the planning meetings and conference calls - you have to be involved to be involved.
-> Does this mean Rauno or Mika or the development guys?

10. At least one person from each project must subscribe to cross-project bug inbox, i.e. edit Bugzilla prefs to watch cross-project.inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx
-> See above

11. Build team members from each project will provide communication channels: phone, mail, IM, IRC and will be available during to-be-specified crucial integration times
-> No problem to us
-> Work estimate 1 week

12. Projects must have stated and demonstrated their intent to join Europa by the M4+0 date. Projects do so by adding themselves to the table/list above, along with their contact information.
-> Project management issue

13. Projects that have demonstrated an inability to synchronize with Europa milestones by M6 will be removed from the Europa simultaneous release unless the remaining Europa projects vote to retain said project.
-> See above

And these are recommended for participating projects:

1. Projects should have jar'ed plug-ins because this is good Eclipse citizenship.
->OK MTJ already has nearly all as jarred, thus few plugins are as folders (but they do have some other content also)

2. Projects should use Eclipse message bundles, not Java bundles because this is a good Eclipse citizenship. (see Message Bundle Conversion Tool and [1])
-> We already have this.

3. Build reproducibility? Require that projects be buildable by community members. Should be identical bits (but not required). All build assets and documentation in CVS/Subversion.
->
This needs actually that the build process is documented.
-> Work estimate one week

4. Non-project-team-members should be able to build each project.
->See above

5. Non-project-team-members should be able to run unit tests on each project.
-> See above

6. Source tarballs should be created for Linux distros to build with.
-> This we should do also
-> Work estimate 2 days

7. Should have new & noteworthy for each milestone. Should be something readable and usable not just a static list of all the bugs. Corollary: individual new & noteworthy should be linked in to the collective New & Noteworthy.
-> A small task for us. We should collect some information about the active tasks and put those in some txt file.

8. Projects should use ICU4J.
- Kevin, do you have an opinion for this?

9. Projects should provide build RSS feeds as per the build workshop.
-> Rather small issue, but this I would not feel to be the most important now.

10. Projects should have a written ramp down policy. (One of the issues identified with this guideline is that its not so much the ramp down policy of how many votes are needed for each bug fix that we need to be consistent on, but rather the meaning of each of the milestones and release candidates. Here [2] is the Platform 3.2 ramp down policy as a guideline for other projects.)
-> This needs some more discussion.

-Arto