Re: [dsdp-ercp-dev] (e)RCP on ARM and Linux

This is not the forum for RCP questions. However, I can respond to your eRCP questions.

Linux is not formally supported by eRCP. However, you may be able to get it working. You don't say what your GUI system is. eRCP has eSWT Core for GTK and Qte. You may be able to build one of these for arm.  Unfortunately, the people who assigned up to work on eSWT for GTK and Qte are no longer active committers, so you are probably on your own on getting either of these compiled. The rest of eRCP is Java code, so that should just work on Linux.  Since eRCP is far smaller than RCP, I suspect that will greatly help with your load time. The average times we see loading an eRCP app on a Windows Mobile/ARM device range from 15 to 25s depending on the device.

                Mark

Jan Pannecoeck <jpa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: dsdp-ercp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/19/2008 09:02 AM

Please respond to
DSDP ercp list <dsdp-ercp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

dsdp-ercp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[dsdp-ercp-dev] (e)RCP on ARM and Linux

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right mailinglist, but I assume it is. As
the topictitle is telling you, I'm having some problems with running RCP
(not the eRCP) on an ARM board with Linux as OS. I've got everything
working properly but with one giant problem, the loadtime is terrible.
Starting up my (quite simple) RCP-application takes around 4 minutes.
This is:
- Launching the OSGi-platform
- Resolving and starting all the bundles (see later for an overview)
- Starting the RCP Application

The main part of the time is taken by starting the RCP Application, but
this is only an application with two simple views. So the loading time
couldn't be caused by the complexity of the RCP Application.

I'm trying to figure at why the loadingtime is that long since this
isn't really user-friendly! It should be possible to launch the
application in about 15-30 seconds. So is there anybody who has done
this kind of  project before and got everything up and running faster
than my setup? Some thing to know also is that while launching the
application, my CPU load is around 100% but once the application started
and my view is visible, the CPU load drops to something around 0-5%
(depends of what other jobs I'm doing at that time).

I'm willing to change to eRCP but I've no idea if this can be ported to
an ARM with Linux? I haven't found any information about that.

Some more information:

The System:
- Processor: ARM9261 with 64MB RAM (and 64MB Flash)
- Linux: this is an OpenEmbedded linux system, I believe it's a kernel
2.6.22 version.
- Java: JamVM version 1.5.0 with java 1.5.0 compiled with gcc 4.1.2
- Classpath

The config.ini of the OSGi

osgi.bundles=\
org.eclipse.equinox.common_3.2.0.v20060603.jar@start,\
org.eclipse.core.jobs_3.2.0.v20060603.jar@start,\
org.eclipse.equinox.registry_3.2.1.R32x_v20060814.jar@start,\
org.eclipse.equinox.preferences_3.2.1.R32x_v20060717.jar@start,\
org.eclipse.core.contenttype_3.2.0.v20060603.jar@start,\
org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.2.0.v20060603.jar@start,\
org.eclipse.swt_3.2.2.v3236b.jar@start,\
org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.arm_3.2.2.v3236.jar@start,\
org.eclipse.core.commands_3.2.0.I20060605-1400.jar@start,\
org.eclipse.jface_3.2.2.M20061214-1200.jar@start,\
com.ibm.icu_3.4.5.20061213.jar@start,\
org.eclipse.help_3.2.2.R322_v20061213.jar@start,\
org.eclipse.core.expressions_3.2.2.r322_v20070109a.jar@start,\
org.eclipse.ui.workbench_3.2.2.M20070119-0800.jar@start,\
org.eclipse.ui_3.2.1.M20061108.jar@start,\
MyBundle_1.0.0.jar@start

eclipse.ignoreApp=false
osgi.noShutdown=true

eclipse.application=MyBundle.application

# The default workspace location
osgi.instance.area.default=@user.home/workspace

# entry required for gtk configurations of eclipse to enable stand-alone
help
osgi.ws=gtk

# End of file marker - must be here
eof=eof

Thanks in advance for all possible help that someone could give!

Kind regards,
Jan Pannecoeck