Re: [dsdp-ercp-dev] Java 5 in devices

Gorkem Ercan schrieb:
> Start-up time and the memory requirements should be compatible with
> commercial ME VMs but that is one part of it. The license should be
> permissible enough for the manufacturers to ship it. There is not an
> open source VM that can fulfill both today and therefore almost all
> the manufacturers and the operators use commercial solutions.
IMO it would be possible to ship a combination of cacao/classpath within
a proprietary phone. It's in my opinion similar to the s60 browser,
shipped by nokia. This browser is completely LGPL. But I don't think,
that we need the 'L' here: As long, as all proprietary extensions to the
vm are done by standard interfaces (e.g. JNI) they do not depend on the
vm and therefore are not forced to be released as GPL. If you like, I
can ask our lawyer about that.

On the other hand: are there any proprietary 1.5 JVMs available,
suitable for a phone?

> By the way, what is the license for the Cacao?
Cacao has GPLv2 and above
Classpath GPLv2 and above + Linking Exception

> --
> Gorkem

> Well, we can treat this either as a problem or as a requirement ;-)
>
> Do you think, that the cacao has the chance to become mainstream on
> mobile phones, when startup speed and memory would be good?
>
> --Sebastian

- --
tarent Gesellschaft für Softwareentwicklung und IT-Beratung mbH

Heilsbachstr. 24, 53123 Bonn    | Poststr. 4-5, 10178 Berlin
fon: +49(228) / 52675-0         | fon: +49(30) / 27594853
fax: +49(228) / 52675-25        | fax: +49(30) / 78709617
durchwahl: +49(228) / 52675-17  | mobil: +49(171) / 7673249

Geschäftsführer:
Boris Esser, Elmar Geese, Thomas Müller-Ackermann
HRB AG Bonn 5168
Ust-ID: DE122264941

Back to the top