AW: [dsdp-ercp-dev] eRCP in OSGi standardization

Scott,

great to hear that there is interest in this topic apart from the
companies mentioned in the proposal ppt.

> 1) What standards body(s) are being considered for this?

Afaik, mainly OSGi Alliance has been considered so far. JCP is probably
much less a likely choice.

> 2) Would standardization be of all of eRCP, or just pieces (e.g. EE,
> Equinox, UI, etc)?  If pieces, which ones?

The original idea was to standardize all eRCP & eSWT packages, not
Equinox. Equinox is already covered by the OSGi R4 spec, no need to
replicate that piece.

> 3) How would such an effort related to the OSGi group (is is
> MEG only?
> others?)

It has been proposed to the OSGi body to standardize _one_ version of
eRCP. Inside OSGi it is likely to be carried out by the Mobile Expert
Group (MEG) but that's a secondary aspect, I assume. What is of more
importance is to get the act together at all. The efforts to generate a
quality spec for that large a code base are significant. Even worse is
the work to be put into an TCK which would need to be created as well.

jo