Re: [dsdp-ercp-dev] (e)SWT on maemo

Funny, I have been asked the same question when I was doing my early eRCP prototyping on N800. By the way I have used parts of jalimo for that proto.

You are correct, maemo based devices tend to have more power and touch so as a result, the full SWT implementation works. Although I still want to run benchmarks to see that performance difference is not significant if any. But since it is geared towards devices, we will happily make changes in the eSWT implementation to overcome any mobile specific perfomance problem points that may be encountered in the future. As Mark pointed out eSWT will have a lower memory footprint because it is a subset of the SWT and omits parts of SWT that is not absolutely necessary for most of the mobile applications, I think memory resource limitations is valid for maemo devices as well.

The real benefit of the eSWT is it enables applications that are more usable on mobile devices. It provides controls that have input optimization and control of input methods that is not likely to be addressed with SWT. Also eSWT APIs allows discovery and control of device capabilities. These are really important improvements in addition to SWT and are constantly improved by the participation of the industry.

It will be great if jalimo at one point can include eRCP at one point ( full RCP is heavy for devices without too many benefits). eRCP will run on standard SWT to some extend. But in order to have full compatibility with other platforms we need eSWTs mobile extensions at least. One way could be to have full SWT and Mobile extension but that may be heavy on the memory usage and needs to be investigated further.

I would like to see eRCP and eSWT as part of Jalimo, if you have any more questions/suggestions how we can further collaborate please ask.
--
Gorkem