[dsdp-dd-dev] FW: Click-through for SPIRIT

Hi folks,

Here is the proposal I made to Chris Lennard about SPIRIT-DSDP interaction.  He is getting the SPIRIT legal folks to review it.

Doug

From: Gaff, Doug
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 2:03 PM
To: Chris Lennard; Anthony Berent
Subject: RE: Click-through for SPIRIT

Hi Chris,

Here’s how I envision this:

1.       Specification:  Grab from SPIRIT website.

2.       Schema (*.xsd) files:  TBD

3.       Java / C tooling for editing IP-XACT xml files, parsing them, debugger implementations using them, etc:  EPL-licensed code living in Eclipse CVS

I think we can agree on #1 and #3.  #2 is the tricky part.  I assume you are generating schema files as part of the specification process.  These schema files will be used directly by the tooling.  Ideally, I would prefer publically-released versions of the IP-XACT schema files to live in Eclipse CVS so that they are present with the tooling that will need to use them.  To live in Eclipse CVS, they must be licensed under EPL.  Note that a license is different from a copyright.  They can (and should) still be copyrighted by the SPIRIT consortium.  The EPL license is about redistribution and modifications rights, indemnification of the Eclipse Foundation, publication obligations of modification, etc.  Of course, anyone who modifies the schema files violates the standard, but there is a good side to this.  You can use the DD and TM projects in DSDP to experiment with changes to the specification both in open source and in their commercial products.  DWG members can then review these changes and decide what to incorporate into the specification.  This gives you an open playground for application of the specification, which I think you want.

Anyway, let me know if this makes sense.  I think we can focus the IP discussions on #2 and get this resolved fairly quickly.

Doug

Back to the top