[dsdp-dd-dev] FW: Minutes from Wednesday's SPIRIT debug working group meeting, and other related matters.

FYI

From: Anthony Berent [mailto:Anthony.Berent@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 2:18 PM
Subject: Minutes from Wednesday's SPIRIT debug working group meeting, and other related matters.

The minutes are attached. Please let me know if you have any comments.

I am aiming to hold our first weekly conference call during the week of the 9th of October. That meeting will be open to the contributing members of the group (currently ARM, Freescale, Philips, and ST). In addition other SPIRIT members, including reviewing members, who are considering becoming contributing members of the group may participate in up to 2 meetings of the group before becoming contributing members.

Please let me know if you wish to participate, and if so when you are available during the week of the 9th. Please also let me know what time zone you are in.

Note, however, that I will be on vacation for the next 2 weeks (returning 2nd October). If there are any urgent matters concerning the group during this period please contact Chris Lennard (chris.lennard@xxxxxxx), copying me.

- Anthony

--------------------------

Anthony Berent

ARM Ltd

+44 1223 400763

-- The 2006 ARM Developers' Conference, October 3-5, Santa Clara, US

Join ARM and its technology and tools Partners from around the world at the only industry event for developers of ARM Powered(R) solutions.

http://www.arm.com/developersconference/

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.

The SPIRIT Consortium Debug Working Group     13 Sept 2006

Held at ARM Cambridge.

Attendees (in person or by phone):
----------------------------------
Anthony Berent - ARM - Chairman
Chris Lennard - ARM
Alex Zamfirescu - Denali
Derek Morris - Consultant
George Milne - ARM
John Wilson - Mentor
Sheldon Woodhouse - ARM
Ian Wakeling - ARM
Ian Johnson - ARM
John Swanson - Synopsys
Colin Tatersall - Beach Solutions
Larry Traylor - American Arium
Steve Furr - Freescale
Serge De Paoli - ST Micro
Aaron Spear - Mentor
Doug Gaff - Windriver
Neal Stollon - MIPS
Stephan Lauterbach - Lauterbach
Kenneth Aron - TI
Mark Philips - ST Micro, Bristol
Alain Gonier - Mentor
Lokesh Gupta - NXP
Owen Baker - Imperas
Shionohara-san -  eSol, Japan
Daniel Jacobowitz - CodeSourcery
John Moule - ST Micro, Bristol
Aimen Bouchhima  - TIMA Labs
Iraklis Diamantidis - Globetech Solutions

Minutes:
========
- Qn: Concern about proprietary info being disclosed in the IP-XACT data
  - Ans: IP-XACT should describe the type of information commonly found
         in technical reference manuals (i.e., open info).  e.g., ARM does
         regards the info needed for debug targetting would be open

- Qn: How do you create IP-XACT descriptions for legacy IP?
  - Ans: In the SoC Design flow, IP-XACT descriptions will be a by-product
         of the system development process.  For boards, etc., there would
         need to be IP-XACT editors or similar tools, although in simple cases
         a schema aware XML editor works quite well. For some hardware
	 it is possible to generete a partial IP-XACT file from autodetection
	 of the the debug hardware.

- Qn: Debuggers need to consider type of target connection.  Is SPIRIT
      considering this?
  - Ans: Worth considering this as future work, but first point of action
         is to agree on target description format. Regardless of the
         target connection, this format must be agreed

- Qn: Has SPIRIT considered alignment with the Multicore Association?
      Key members are: Mentor, Freescale, Windriver
  - Ans: Will look into how we keep this organization in the loop. The
         strong membership overlap will help

- Qn: Should description of system SW be considered now?  Needed for debug
  - Ans: SPIRIT would like to do that following the HW description solution.
         Reason for this is that the HW description is the smallest step
         forward, but also we would need the OS vendors involved for the
         SW description stage

- Qn: For register descriptions and debug behavior, consider SystemRDL. What
      is the relationship
  - Ans: The Data-Model working group will be liasing with SystemRDL.  This
         language has not been donated to SPIRIT (i.e., SPIRIT is language
         neutral), but the meta-data that describes registers should be
         aligned between the groups. SystemRDL's focus is register generation,
         IP-XACT is design documentation.

- Qn: Does IP-XACT allow for user-specified extensions?
  - Ans: There is a vendor-extension mechanism for this supported

- Qn: Should we add identifying information about the object file formats?
  - Ans: This is an interesting idea. Should be considered in scope

- Qn: What about the programming scripts to set a target up?  Need to
      support dynamic as well as static descriptions
  - Ans: This could be supported through generators. Process for this
         should be considered in scope

- Qn: What about describing trigger conditions, etc.?
  - Ans: Could be considered through a Problem Statement / Solution

- Note:  There are several other working groups working in the
  debug area.  For example: Nexus, Multicore Association, OCP-IP Debug
  Working Group, JTAG Working Group, ...
  - Comments: ARM on behalf of SPIRIT has done a lot of due diligence to
              see if any other organization covers the area of this
              specification.  There are no exact coverage points, but
              several elements of overlap (particularly legacy formats).
              The Debug Working Group will need to continually assess this
              situation as progress is made
  - Comments: Neil Stollon is chair of the Nexus working group, and also
              member of the OCP-IP Debug WG.  He will help with the
              group co-ordination

- Note: Eclipse DSDP release for 2007 is releasing June.  Need to consider
  whether there should be an incremental release that would suit this.

- Note: Eclipse DSDP is wondering what is the work involved in creating
  an IP-XACT parser.  Should this be a shared development?  Should be
  considered as part of the requirements development

ACTION:
=======
Chris - Need to get operational mechanism and legal working relationship
        with DSDP in place.  Co-ordinate with Doug and Anthony.

Back to the top