Re: AW: [dsdp-dd-dev] RE: [cdt-debug-dev] JTAG (was: The fate of thecurrent GDB suppor t in CDT)

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 03:24:58PM -0400, Doug Schaefer wrote:
> I think that's where CodeSourcery's idea of target config files to house
> such information makes things easier. The different launch configs can point
> at the same config file. As Norbert mentioned, if you have a device such as
> the Abatron BDI that is already driven by config files, you wouldn't need
> much in the launch config file.

Exactly.  The configuration file is likely not written by the user;
it's more likely to be shipped with a development kit associated with a
particular board.  If you're building your own custom board (for
instance, with a different memory map), one person in your organization
is probably responsible for keeping this configuration file up to date;
having it in everyone's launch configurations is unworkable.

What's clear from this discussion is that, at a bare minimum, the
abilities to configure commands to run after "target remote" and
to issue "target SOMETHING ELSE" are important to support existing
debuggers and other companies' choices for new debuggers.

Fancier things, like tooling for board configuration files, is I think
a nice addition but a separate problem.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery