Re: [dsdp-dd-dev] RE: [cdt-debug-dev] JTAG (was: The fate of the current GDB suppor t in CDT)

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 10:49:42AM -0400, Doug Schaefer wrote:
> Thanks, Daniel, I think you are right on the mark. Certainly I wouldn't want
> to see users have to enter the magic commands for every launch config. And I
> am thinking of initializing the memory subsystems and downloading images and
> configuring symbols addresses for my work. Having a standard way to do this
> and hide the details would certainly be a huge benefit for all users/vendors
> trying to do this with the CDT.

Right.

Just like in CDT, or in Eclipse as a whole, it's important to think
about the correct abstraction layer for any task.  We ship a set of
tools based on, unsurprisingly, CDT and GDB and gdbserver and our own
JTAG debugging stubs; since we have the freedom to modify that set of
tools at any level, we've been putting some thought into GDB and stub
enhancements that can cooperate with Eclipse.  The init files I
described cover your first item (memory subsystems).  We have other
in-progress projects for e.g. downloading images, in both GDB and the
stub.

> So going forward, would you be interested working together on a contribution
> to Eclipse for JTAG/gdb support? Or have you already started down this path?

Sure.  I can't make a resource commitment (I'm not actually one of our
Eclipse developers - just an interested party - I'm mostly focused on
GDB), but I'd be glad to work with anyone else interested in this area.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

Back to the top