RE: [dsdp-dd-dev] SPIRIT vs a new standardXMLschema?(wasDebugmodeland GDB?)

Hi Doug,

Where we are at:

My original doc on the DD Wiki was raw target description requirements.
It seemed like most folks thought that these requirements more or less
covered what they needed in their debuggers.  A few people chimed in a
couple things that they needed that were not in there, and a few others
shared some bit of agreement that it looked good.  I am assuming that
the silence from others is tacit approval that what is in this spec
adequately addresses their needs.

What I wrote had nothing to do with format, and as such not directly
SPIRIT related.  However, Anthony went through the doc and added
comments on each line item that said what was and was not in SPIRIT
today.

Next steps:

1) document exactly what areas of SPIRIT need to be extended for our
purposes.  This should be easy since Anthony already did this in the
requirements doc.
2) draft a spec with our proposed extensions and create working examples
of them.
3) Create tools that use the extensions
4) propose these extensions formally to be incorporated into SPIRIT

Decoupled from the SPIRIT discussion is the bigger picture DSDP
discussion about target descriptions at a higher level.  I posted
something to both tm and dd mailing lists on this, but have not seen any
discussion as a result like I had hoped.  (also opened up a BugZilla bug
on the need for target descriptions in TM)

Aaron