RE: [dsdp-dd-dev] SPIRIT vs a new standard XML schema? (wasDebugmodeland GDB?)

Spear, Aaron wrote:
> From your experience is this a valid concern?  Does ARM Ltd. have a
> single SPIRIT parser, or a number of SPIRIT parsers?  Perhaps I am
> overblowing the complexity of a parser (please say so if you think I
> am)

In my experience, once one has a DOM parser, parsing SPIRIT is quite
easy. The only real issue is moving between files, and finding the files
referenced. While this is a bit messy it is the sort of thing that takes
hours rather than days of programming effort to solve.

I know of at least 3 SPIRIT parsers in ARM. This is not simply because
we are disorganized, it is also because the questions one wants to ask
about a SPIRIT component or design vary with the application. As an
example the SPIRIT parser in our ICE (RVI) at the moment only looks at
the topology of the system, whereas the SPIRIT parser in our EDA tools
is far more interested in signals and registers.

The SPIRIT Consortium are in the process of defining a standard API (the
Tight Generator Interface) to SPIRIT models. This is defined using WSDL,
and is intended to be language independent. It will be part of the
SPIRIT 1.4 standard, which is due for release around the end of the
year. From a standardization point of view its intended use is as an
interface between design tools and generators (tool independent
utilities that process the SPIRIT data) but it will also probably be
appropriate as a relatively low level application independent interface
to a SPIRIT parser.

- Anthony

Anthony Berent

ARM Ltd

+44 1223 400763

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.

Back to the top