From: "Gabriel Petrovay" <gabipetrovay@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "dltk-dev" <dltk-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:35:44 AM GMT +06:00 Almaty, Novosibirsk
Subject: [Dltk-dev] Feature request: NewSourceModulePage.createCustomControls()

Hi Alex,

My problem with all the extension s the following (maybe you have a suggestion for this or a better practice):

I am extending your code by overriding methods in my own classes. On one hand, I have often met the case that the DLTK has TODO's in the code. On the other, people report bugs and ask for feature requests. As a consequence you change the code of the base classes. How can I automatically update my overridden methods based on your updates? I also want to bbeneffit of your corrections.

Having a solution like the feature request of this thread is the way I understand solving this problem. If you have a better solutoin, please let me know. If not, could you add such a method since:
1. "there are good chances this class would be further extended" and
2. the code is independent of the clients already implementing the base class (and it's perfectly backward compatible)
?

Also the amount of change is 3 lines of code for you (I could send you a patch :) ) while the solution you proposed means overriding the createControls method. which is many time more code and suffers from the limitation I described above.

Please suggest a solution or let me send you a patch.

Thanks!

Rgards,
Gabriel

PS: :) I always wear this smile when I write e-mails to you guys.