Re: [Dltk-dev] Re: Console for 'run' launch

Hi William,

William Cook wrote:
Can anyone explain why there is only a console for
Debug launches? It seems that there cannot be a
console on Run launches, even though there is a preference
for it in the standard Eclipse launch dialog.

Run launch uses standard eclipse console. Stdout and stderr of the launcher process are redirected via OS pipes and output is sent to the eclipse console. This console is implemented by the org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.views.console.ProcessConsole

Debug launch at the moment uses own DLTK console and output is redirected via DBGP protocol used to communicate with the debugger.
You can see the details of the DBGP protocol in the
http://xdebug.org/docs-dbgp.php#debugger-engine-to-ide-communications
This console is implemented by the org.eclipse.dltk.debug.ui.ScriptDebugConsole class.

One of the advantages of DBGP redirection is that it works over network - the launched process could be on another machine in the network. It could be launched either automatically via DLTK-RSE integration or manually using 'Remote Application' debug configurations.

Ideally debug options should be enhanced so the user can select console type - standard or DBGP, but it requires some programming efforts.

 I have a Scheme plugin working to
some degree, but I can't use Run launches because
Scheme requires a terminal for IO.

If scheme interpreter uses stdout/stderr handles provided by the OS it should work under Run launch configuration.

No a big issue, but I've also noticed
that there is a lot of redundant code between
the different language implementations, i think because
the interface to DLTK is fairly wide.  There are
also things I've wanted to change but given up on
because they are not easily extended
(like the "new interpreter" dialog and I don't think
that the "debug engines" is very well thought out,
at least for Scheme). I suppose we are supposed
to work with the DLTK plugins that come with Eclipse
now, not modify them.

DLTK wants to be suitable for many different languages, so some integration point could be classified as wide since each language has it own unique features. Also DLTK Core provides abstract implementations that should be enhanced with particular language specific features.

If you think some things could be improved/enhanced - please share your thoughts. Your patches are welcome.

Regards,
Alex

William