Re: [Dltk-dev] FS/OSS debugger for TCL?

I did not see a link in the preference page so I thank you for the link.

The way I read the license, the engine cannot be used without a license
key, same as with Komodo.  I take this to mean there is no use without
paying for a license.  The Javascript and TCL engines fall into this
category.  The other engines reference their respective language
licenses, which is nice.

I don't violate licenses on principle.  So, without at least a "free as
in (root)beer" license on this engine, I'll not be using it without
paying for it.

I just posed the question of a no cost license to the sales email
address for ActiveState.  We'll see what they have to say.

Alan

Jae Gangemi wrote:

>   you can get access to the debugging engine here:
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/Komodo/RemoteDebugging
>
>   i'm 99% sure the tcl plugin actually provides a 'link' in the
> preference page that will send you to that same page to download the
> engine.
>
>   i just checked, and it seems that the tcl engine is covered under the
> same license as komodo itself, so i'm not 100% sure what it means if you
> are interested in using just the engine outside of komodo. it appears
> that all of the engines are covered under different licenses, which
> makes this all the more difficult.
>
>   i would guess that most people would just grab a copy of the engine
> and use it without regard to the actual licensing terms since it is
> available as a seperate download (not that i am recommending/advocating
> that). your best bet would probably be to just email the activestate
> folks and ask them directly. given that they release all the other
> engines under more 'open' licenses, they may just do the same here.
>
>   please do report back on your findings, i'd be very interested to hear
> what they have to say about this.
>
> On 10/23/07, *Alan Dayley* < adayley@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:adayley@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     No, I know of no technical reason that it would not work.  I was under
>     the impression that it is not licensed for no cost.  I'm not against
>     paying for tools but, I am investigating no cost solutions before going
>     to the boss with a purchase request.  I'll go look for licensing
>     information on the ActiveState website.
>
>     By "direct download" do you mean it is licensed for no cost?
>
>     Alan
>
>     Jae Gangemi wrote:
>     >   as far as i am aware, the only dbgp implementation for tcl is
>     the one
>     > provided by activestate - i am not aware of any open source projects
>     > going on to create one, and i'm not sure if there are any plans to
>     > create one along the same lines as the 'basic ruby' debugger that is
>     > part of the ruby dltk plugin.
>     >
>     >   activestate does provide a direct download for the tcl debugger, you
>     > don't need a copy of komodo to get it. i've actually spoken to some of
>     > the komodo/dbgp/activestate folks over protocol implementation
>     > inconsistencies in all of their engines, so they are aware we are
>     using
>     > them, and have not expressed any concerns over it.
>     >
>     >   is there a reason that engine would not work for you?
>     >
>     > On 10/23/07, *Alan Dayley* < adayley@xxxxxxxxx
>     <mailto:adayley@xxxxxxxxx>
>     > <mailto:adayley@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:adayley@xxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     I found references that the only DLTK supported single-step
>     debugger
>     >     for
> [...]

Back to the top