Re: [Dltk-dev] Best place to help write documentation?

Hi, Mark.

First, we were very happy to read your mail. Thank you very much. DLTK documentation is a really big problem, and we'll highly appreciate any help on it.

First place, from where you could start from is "A guide to building a DLTK-based language IDE", http://wiki.eclipse.org/DLTK_IDE_Guide. First, it's a relatively old, so there are some inconsistence with a real DLTK now. Also, example code provided with that article is inconsistent with DLTK API too. But, frankly speaking, it's a pretty boring task I think, so we may fix it by ourself and there are more interesting undocumented places, on which you can work.
Let me enumerate some of them:
* Stuff like new elements wizards, or editing features like folding or syntax highlighting.
* Selection engine, completion engine and how to use them.
* Search. How to use search engine and add indexers.
* Launching. Some pieces of information were been sent to this list and news groups. * Model. Of course, DLTK had JDT-alike model, but lots of classes has another names, so it's still not easy to understand all them. It would be very useful, if there will descriptions of main classes related to IModelElement, like IDLTKProject or IProjectFragement

So, you may pick any of these topics and write something on it. Possibly, you may start writing documentation on some other part of the DLTK. Anyway, as we know, there is no another people working on it.

Finally, saying about where to place documentation. I think http://wiki.eclipse.org/ is a right place for it.

Great thanks again.

--
Mikhail Kalugin

Mark Mandel wrote:
Hey all,

I'm currently meandering my way through using the DLTK, and figured I
may be able to write up some documentation, as I learn my way through
the examples I am able to find.

I can't claim any sort of 'expertise' level with eclipse plugins or
the like, but I'm more than willing to help put pen to paper to help
out new developers with the Toolkit, and possibly give them a little
bit of something in terms of getting a hold of the DLTK and doing some
work with it.

Where is the best place I should start putting some of this down? (and
do you even want the help), or am I stepping on some work that is
already in progress?

Figured I would ask the question before bashing about like a elephant
on a china shop.

Thanks for your time,

Mark

Back to the top