Re: [Dltk-dev] DLTK Ruby

Daniel Spiewak wrote:
> Andrey, I talked to Chris Williams a while back and he said that he's
> never
> received an invitation to donate time to DLTK in the past, but he implied
> that he'd be quite willing.  Are there any plans in the works to bring
> the
> RDT team into the mix?

Just for the record,
 - the Refactoring code that is now added to RDT is quite independent of
RDT (it just needs the JRuby AST + Eclipse LTK)
   so it's quite easy to bring that over
 - RDT has the edge in debugging, having both old set_trace_func
debugging (slow) and new ruby-debug (native extension, fast)
   support in 0.9. DLTK can have debugging very soon too, it only needs
a DBGp implementation which could have backends for
   the old debugging method and ruby-debug;
 - RDT has TestUnit support, ie. a nice View (a la JDT's JUnit view)
that is very useful for running tests, rerunning individual tests and
comparing results
   Actually, this would be quite nice to have as DLTK framework
functionality;
 - Chris W. has added some Ruby Lint functionality, ie. RDT searches for
some code patterns and issues warnings, which is quite nice,
   but there's some ongoing work on writing something more general and
Ruby based to define patterns/Lint functionality like this;

My point of view, the best Ruby IDE
 - DLTK 1.0
 - some 3rd party plugins, eg stuff salvaged from RDT like the TestUnit
view, Refactoring, etc

murphee
--

Blog @ http://jroller.com/page/murphee