Re: [dash-dev] IP Cleanliness question

The copied code is intellectual property and as such is subject to the Eclipse IP Due Diligence process.

It can only be distributed from eclipse.org (e.g. a source code repository) if we have clear license from the author to do so.

Yes, it's a small bit of code, but the full IP process still applies.

The easiest way to make this work is to ask the original author to contribute the code as an attachment on a Bugzilla record with the following assertions in the comment:

"I authored 100% the content they are contributing; have the rights to donate the content to EPL; and contribute the content under the EPL."

With this in place, you can add the code into the repository, flip the "iplog+" flag, and be off to the races.

Alternatively, I think we can make the case that Stack Overflow contributions are CC-licensed [1] and treat the code similar to a third-party library. However, I believe that license compatibility will be complicated.

HTH,

Wayne

[1] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/